The case for being a poor fish keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
What’s the most exciting time for a fish keeper? Finally getting a species to breed is probably high on the list. Setting up a new fish tank is probably high on the list. But perhaps highest on the list is the thrill of finding a long-sought or new fish, bringing that fish home, and enjoying its beauty/behavior/etc. in the future. You do your best to learn the hobby and become a good fish keeper. Now you find yourself in a common predicament: you’ve partaken too much in the thrill of acquiring fish and now those fish are growing. It’s not acceptable to keep all of your fish in such a small tank, so you face a choice: buy a bigger tank or downsize your stock. OR, don’t be such a great fish keeper.

Leave your fish in cramped quarters. Stop doing water changes. Feed your fish dog food. Ignore your tank for a week. It sounds silly, right? Wrong! Your overstocking issue takes care of itself. AND, you get to get back to the thrill of acquiring new fish to enjoy. It’s not about the fish after all, it’s about you. Do what’s best for you and you’ll enjoy the hobby more.

“The fish hobby is dying”. We be-moan the loss of the LFS at the hands of the chain stores. The chain stores have the advantage because they know the secret. You are more profitable as a beginner. Skilled fish keepers don’t buy much medicine, they don’t serially buy bigger and “better” HOB’s and filter cartridges, they don’t use algaecide, and they rarely buy fish from a chain-store. That LFS that had friendly, knowledgeable and helpful employees… those employees put it out of business.

I do not endorse this Catch 22.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Reminds of one of my lfs's, whose manager (a great guy) told me he runs a 'tang rental service' :) People really want that 6" hippo tang. $250. A year later, it is traded in and goes up for sale at $320. It is sold and then, another year later...

Reactions: imabot

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
Plus one for being a poor fish keeper. For every death and near death experience I learn for my next set of fish. And it made me into a more efficient fish keeper. If everyone followed the rules for Fish keeping every tank would have one pea puffer with a bunch of snails in it.

To each his own in this hobby. If you're in the hobby you're gambling. Some just like to gamble with 10000 dollar chips and others like to play the penny slots. In the end most of us are still losing money...just some more then others.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; maybe we should use the term "practicing fish keepers" sort of like "practicing medicine"??

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
The mainstay of a LFS will always be livestock. Dry goods can always be purchased online for cheaper. I support brick and mortar stores so I'm happy to spend the extra couple bucks and buy in person.

I think there's a whole side of the hobby that you're largely unfamiliar with. This hobby has only recently taken root in the USA. In Asia and Europe, they've been doing it for decades longer and, quite frankly, they're better at it. What you see is a crowded tank and are quick to dismiss as poor conditions simply isn't the case. Most of those tanks are more invested in bio media than your entire fish room. Rather than be so opinionated (I'm sure this stems from the Lounge thread that was locked) do a little homework ;)

Reactions: Bandit87

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The mainstay of a LFS will always be livestock. Dry goods can always be purchased online for cheaper. I support brick and mortar stores so I'm happy to spend the extra couple bucks and buy in person.

I think there's a whole side of the hobby that you're largely unfamiliar with. This hobby has only recently taken root in the USA. In Asia and Europe, they've been doing it for decades longer and, quite frankly, they're better at it. What you see is a crowded tank and are quick to dismiss as poor conditions simply isn't the case. Most of those tanks are more invested in bio media than your entire fish room. Rather than be so opinionated (I'm sure this stems from the Lounge thread that was locked) do a little homework ;)
I always support my LFS I pay more for the convenience. It's also sort of a hang out for a few locals into fish keeping.
I'm not trying to get the whole locked thread debate started here. If we all could just discuss opinions without attacking each other the threads wouldn't get locked in the first place.
That being said I'm going to voice my opinion.
Even if your can keep a tank packed to the top with fish "healthy " I still see it as cruel.
I just think of it like this. You can keep a dog alive in a crate just big enough to turn around but should you?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
My brother in law love fish but he doesn't know how to keep them healthy, he's smart guy knew how to make money so what he gonna do to keep a fish tank and no need to worry about taking care of it? LOL
He just talk to a local fish store and RENT a tank (20G nano reef tank) from them, they come and setup a tank for him and they will do the service weekly, he just feed the fish follow by the LFS recommendation dose and he paid them 50 bucks a month...That is freaking cheap services!

Reactions: tarheel96 and J. H.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
These threads get silly!! You can't compare fish to dogs... fisrt off there are plenty of people who keep dogs in cages year round.. they are called hunters, although you might disagree it still happens, and yes an opinion is just that an opinion. Same goes with fish, if you truly feel the way you say then technically you should never keep fish in a tank or any other animal for that reason. We could never properly house any animal the way nature intended. Just my 2 cents. Talk to anyone involved with PETA and even 1 neon in a 10 gallon tank is unacceptable. Sorry to rant, I'm just tired of all the people bashing what should/ should not be doing. To each his/her own if you don't agree then move on and keep it to yourself.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
To each his/her own if you don't agree then move on and keep it to yourself.
Hello; Yes to this. My way of phrasing it has been "In the end we each get to run our tanks anyway we wish". I sometimes add "at least so far" which is a reference to the efforts of animal rights folks who will stop all pet keeping if given their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store