The Dumbing Down of Seachem

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I do not believe, no matter that the individual stating it is the chemist making the product /and its CEO, that the move to "dumb down" the label was a result of the decreasing intelligence of the population. This argument is a fallacy.
Our younger generation is, in all developed nations, far more educated than the young of the 19th and 20th centuries. Education, both in Analytical/Quantitative and reading/Writing Literacy has increased exponentially throughout-- especially with the opening up of equal opportunity to higher education for minorities through the 1960's and 70's.
The younger generations in developed countries are some of the most educated, across time, in the world.
This 95% cannot be explained away as dumb. That is too simplistic and generalized.
Your taking this too personally.

Reactions: jaws7777

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - this is the first time that I have released any of this correspondence, here, or anywhere else.

Reactions: jaws7777

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Your taking this too personally.
How is that?
I think that anytime claims are made they should be examined for their validity.
I think that RD is making a serious claim here,. is he not?
RD knows I respect him and we are looking at various ways the issue can be considered.
I think calling 95% of the population ( which the Seachem CEO did, not RD) is lazy intelligence in itself. No one can take this statement seriously if you think about it. Its ridiculous.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
The personal element I do admit to is this: I am "stupid" when it comes to math, but can add, divide, subtract, do some basic algebraic equations and have no problems with dosing my tank with the directions on any bottle Ive come across in this hobby. I also have issues making heads or tails of my water report ( but, Ill call next time I have a question on this- thank you for that suggestion.)

Am I in the 5% or 95%- I would say neither.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I used to spend a fair bit of time on the Seachem forums, they had a couple that I frequented, I believe that the one may be closed now. The amount of questions regarding both Prime & Safe were off the charts. I mean really basic stuff, when confronted about these changes the Seachem reps mimicked exactly what the CEO sent me.

Here's an example posted by a Seachem rep.

https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/2690-seachem-safe-question?t=7426

"While some hobbyists appreciated the more detailed instructions, they confused many people. We have a support team who answers email, forums, and phone calls from hobbyists, so we are constantly getting direct feedback from consumers and stores about our products and we keep detailed records of what kind of questions and complaints we receive. Questions about dosing Safe were consistently one of the most frequent questions/complaints. Since changing the instructions, the questions about Safe have dropped significantly. The exceptions are occasional questions about the instructions being different and your frequent questions and interjections on the subject on the forum. From the perspective of trying to make Safe less confusing and easier to use for the majority of people, it has been a clear success."

They sent that topic to the CEO, and Dr. Greg Morin contacted me. I'm guessing they didn't appreciate my presence on their forum. lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Reactions: Lilyann

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And this is coming from someone that has nothing but the greatest respect for Greg Morin, and his late father. These guys started Seachem in their family garage. Kudos to them for all they have done for this hobby. I just don't agree with how they went about doing this, and I still feel that their one size fits all approach missed the mark big time.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Seachem fan-girl myself- they get the majority of my hobby paycheck every month/year.
Seachem Prime
Seachem plant fertilizers: N, P, K, FE, Advance, Flourish, Excel, substrate tabs
Seachem Kanaplex
Stability

Their filters, however, are very, very poorly designed. Went into garbage with much disgust.

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I just ordered some Safe for the first time along with chlorine/chloramine test strips. Is it safe to assume that I can still use the 2004 Safe instructions in the first post?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store