The Finale!

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
So I recently bought a fish tank at Petsmart the other day... my boyfriend and I went there to buy crickets for our Chameleon and Bearded Dragon when a beautiful display caught my eye ? When I saw the sale price, it was a done deal, even though I know how much of an investment ? Tanks can be :tropicalf

I ended up getting the 60 gallon tank (48" x 12" x 24") which is the biggest tank I would have owned thus far. I did some research before making my millionth trip to Petsmart, Petco, Pets Supply Plus, and Pets Valu ??? and found that the most recommended filter was the "AquaClear Cycle Guard Power Filter 110"
So far I am really impressed with it! It cleared up my substrate in less than 48 hours and sounds like a subtle, soothing, quiet waterfall ?
I also like the fact that the water has to filter through 3 different cycles of foam, carbon, and bio max before filtering back into the aquarium... not to mention the filters are re-usable for sometime before having to be replaced, so that's a money saver ??

The only reason I went with the "Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater 200w" is because I had a coupon -- so far I am not having any issues, it sort of sticks out like a sore thumb but it does the job nicely.

In the past I have had as many as 19 tanks at once (I get kind of obsessive) which had included a salt water reef, fresh water, crawfish, goldfish, sharks and eels, and African Cichlids... just to name a few ? My favorite project was the African Cichilds so I knew that is what I wanted to bring into this tank. Now I know they prefer rocks, but I have always wanted to do the "sunken ship" display, so I thought now was the time to do it. I was very particular in the ship I chose to make sure there would still be plenty of hiding spaces.

With this in mind, I wanted to make sure there was aquatic plants not only for hiding and snacking, but also for a nice visual as well. I have a few Java Ferns and thick leaved Anubias which I have throughout the tank and on the sides in very cool glass suction cupped plant holders "Tfwadmx Plant Pot Aquarium Decor Aquatic Plant Cup". I thought it would also be cool to try and grow my own aquatic plants, although I'm sure they won't thrive -- I also bought Aponogeton bulbs for the Cichlids to snack on as well. One of the bulbs are already sprouting! Yay! ? The "Aqueon LED OptiBright Plus Light Fixture" was ideal for the aquatic plants since it gives off both the Blue and Red RGBs. The fact that you can have all 3 light elements on at once is really nice and gives it a nice visual effect, but I am going to buy a timer because I accidentally left it on too long and some of the plants are not looking too great in a few spots.

As of right now I have 3 bubblers in place, (2) Pawfly 2" Crazy Air Stone Bubble Ball Diffusers -- which I am not crazy about since the bubbles still only come out of the one side, I could have easily made the same effect with a regular air stone -- and (1) 48" Penn Plax Bendable Bubble Wall Air Diffuser -- which despite the iffy reviews, actually works pretty well and has a nice alternating effect on the back wall of the tank. I was recommended to get the "Tetra Whisper Air Pump AP150 for Deep Water Applications" as my air pump, which I have to admit, is most quieter than most. It does only come with one outlet, so I did buy a 4-way water valve regardless.

And finally... I also bought a digital touch screen aquarium thermometer that will blink repeatedly if the temperature is above or below my set range, because hey... why not?

So as I was saying earlier, I wanted to go with the "Sunken Ship" feel since it was something I have not done before. I fell in love with the color and size of one in particular after looking at multiple shops and multiple ships, and my boyfriend helped me with the rest of the placements like broken barrels and faux drift wood to look like debris from the ship. What I was most impressed with were these underwater naval sea minds I found on Amazon
? They were a little pricey and the company only had 3 available, but I am so happy I bought them all. We staggered them around the aquarium putting one in each section at different heights to give it some dimension. Overall, I am really happy with how it came out and thankfully I tested the water and everything (i.e. pH, dGH, NH2/NH4, NO2. NO3) is all where it should be! It is ready to go for these little guys to come home to ?

<P.S.> I usually do try to shop locally from mom & pop pet stores, but unfortunately because of the Quarantine there were none open for me to explore. I am new to the area as well so I hope once everything is lifted I will be able to find some great local gems ;)

Please let me know what you think of the tank and any advice you may have ??

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I recently bought a fish tank at Petsmart the other day... my boyfriend and I went there to buy crickets for our Chameleon and Bearded Dragon when a beautiful display caught my eye ? When I saw the sale price, it was a done deal, even though I know how much of an investment ? Tanks can be :tropicalf

I ended up getting the 60 gallon tank (48" x 12" x 24") which is the biggest tank I would have owned thus far. I did some research before making my millionth trip to Petsmart, Petco, Pets Supply Plus, and Pets Valu ??? and found that the most recommended filter was the "AquaClear Cycle Guard Power Filter 110"
So far I am really impressed with it! It cleared up my substrate in less than 48 hours and sounds like a subtle, soothing, quiet waterfall ?
I also like the fact that the water has to filter through 3 different cycles of foam, carbon, and bio max before filtering back into the aquarium... not to mention the filters are re-usable for sometime before having to be replaced, so that's a money saver ??

The only reason I went with the "Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater 200w" is because I had a coupon -- so far I am not having any issues, it sort of sticks out like a sore thumb but it does the job nicely.

In the past I have had as many as 19 tanks at once (I get kind of obsessive) which had included a salt water reef, fresh water, crawfish, goldfish, sharks and eels, and African Cichlids... just to name a few ? My favorite project was the African Cichilds so I knew that is what I wanted to bring into this tank. Now I know they prefer rocks, but I have always wanted to do the "sunken ship" display, so I thought now was the time to do it. I was very particular in the ship I chose to make sure there would still be plenty of hiding spaces.

With this in mind, I wanted to make sure there was aquatic plants not only for hiding and snacking, but also for a nice visual as well. I have a few Java Ferns and thick leaved Anubias which I have throughout the tank and on the sides in very cool glass suction cupped plant holders "Tfwadmx Plant Pot Aquarium Decor Aquatic Plant Cup". I thought it would also be cool to try and grow my own aquatic plants, although I'm sure they won't thrive -- I also bought Aponogeton bulbs for the Cichlids to snack on as well. One of the bulbs are already sprouting! Yay! ? The "Aqueon LED OptiBright Plus Light Fixture" was ideal for the aquatic plants since it gives off both the Blue and Red RGBs. The fact that you can have all 3 light elements on at once is really nice and gives it a nice visual effect, but I am going to buy a timer because I accidentally left it on too long and some of the plants are not looking too great in a few spots.

As of right now I have 3 bubblers in place, (2) Pawfly 2" Crazy Air Stone Bubble Ball Diffusers -- which I am not crazy about since the bubbles still only come out of the one side, I could have easily made the same effect with a regular air stone -- and (1) 48" Penn Plax Bendable Bubble Wall Air Diffuser -- which despite the iffy reviews, actually works pretty well and has a nice alternating effect on the back wall of the tank. I was recommended to get the "Tetra Whisper Air Pump AP150 for Deep Water Applications" as my air pump, which I have to admit, is most quieter than most. It does only come with one outlet, so I did buy a 4-way water valve regardless.

And finally... I also bought a digital touch screen aquarium thermometer that will blink repeatedly if the temperature is above or below my set range, because hey... why not?

So as I was saying earlier, I wanted to go with the "Sunken Ship" feel since it was something I have not done before. I fell in love with the color and size of one in particular after looking at multiple shops and multiple ships, and my boyfriend helped me with the rest of the placements like broken barrels and faux drift wood to look like debris from the ship. What I was most impressed with were these underwater naval sea minds I found on Amazon
? They were a little pricey and the company only had 3 available, but I am so happy I bought them all. We staggered them around the aquarium putting one in each section at different heights to give it some dimension. Overall, I am really happy with how it came out and thankfully I tested the water and everything (i.e. pH, dGH, NH2/NH4, NO2. NO3) is all where it should be! It is ready to go for these little guys to come home to ?

<P.S.> I usually do try to shop locally from mom & pop pet stores, but unfortunately because of the Quarantine there were none open for me to explore. I am new to the area as well so I hope once everything is lifted I will be able to find some great local gems ;)

View attachment 1419102

View attachment 1419103

View attachment 1419104

View attachment 1419105

View attachment 1419106

View attachment 1419107
Wow! Great to have a new experienced new member who is on top of things. That is a unique setup.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome. Nice looking tank.

• Love
Reactions: ydnim and tlindsey

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank

View attachment 1419102

View attachment 1419103

View attachment 1419104

View attachment 1419105

View attachment 1419106

View attachment 1419107
I'm typically not in to the sunken ship look, but I like your decor. It's tastefully done and looks balanced how you have everything positioned.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Great looking setup, I dig the theme you have going. Keep us updated on the progress.

• Love
Reactions: ydnim

ydnim

Exodon
MFK Member
May 24, 2020
I ended up buying my first tank-mate today ? He is an "Assorted African Cichlid" -- which to be honest, I hate that certain stores cannot give you more information on the "type" than that... I have decided to name him Sunny D and he is currently acclimating through a cool little gadget I found on Amazon called "Innovative Martine Accudrip Acclimator"

*I've included 2 photos of my new guy in his isolation bucket. One of them is very blurry but it was a nice angle so I kept it. The other shows his true color which is a remarkable solid yellowish-orange... hence... Sunny D.

It never occurred to me that you are only acclimating the temperature when you have the bags sit in the tank for 15 minutes or so. It makes so much sense to use this tool to avoid "New Tank Syndrome" and other shocks of the change that can stress out our little friends. The setup was really easy, literally 1,2,3...
1. Insert the rigid J-Tube end in your aquarium
2. Place the other end of the line into the container with the new fish and their water content
3. Squeeze the siphon/drip chamber

It recommends letting it drip 2-4 seconds for Cichlids until the water is at least 3x's more. So far it is working great and I am considering purchasing a few more before the rest of the tribe arrives!

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 4.19.10 PM.png

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store