The good and bad of rays

xtyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
milton, ontario
I have never owned a stingray and dont know anything about them. I would like to know what the good and bad parts of owning rays. I would like to only here from people who keep or have kept rays. Tell me why I should or shouldn't get a ray.

Thanks

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Should get = Best most rewarding fish i have ever owned.
Should not get = Most expensive to keep and hardest to maintain fish i have ever owned (but that has never put me off) !!!

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
I think if you need to be convinced about keeping a ray then you shouldn't keep them. I knew from the first time i saw one it was my favorite fish and i currently have 4 Motoro in a 396 gallon Tank. They do require alot of feeding and a lot of large frequent water changes but that comes with any big predator if you want a healthy fish.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
you should do a lot of research before you even consider buying a ray you should not buy one if you don't plan of doing research

Stingingrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
Agreed! I got two teacups as my first rays and that was with no research, needless to say both died with in 24 hours and I told myself that I was going to do nothing but research on rays until I felt I was ready to try again, It took me 2 years before I felt I was ready! went around and visited different forums and read a lot of atricles and books.

Copeina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
IF your first thought is "what is the minimum tank size for..." then don't bother.

You WILL need to do big and regular water changes. A siphon hose and a pail aren't going to cut it. Invest and install a drain and a water supply.

FOOD is expensive, mainly because of the amount of it they eat. Do not skimp on feeding. Even between paycheques, they need to eat.

They SMELL. Nobody advertises this, but if it is in your home, vent that room directly outdoors. Water changes help, but there will always be an odor. If you still live with your parents, expect resistance.

Overall care is no more complicated that a regular aquarium, aside from the whole process needing to be 4x larger than anything the average hardcore hobbyist will ever keep. There is huge satisfaction in doing it and doing it well.

Think, Plan, Invest, Maintain, Enjoy.

/Kris

xtyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
milton, ontario
First I am just starting my research. This is helping with it as by getting actual keepers comments I find are very helpful.

I keep many fish and breed african cichlids so I am aware of the cost and time of average aquarium upkeep.

The tank size is not a problem as I have unlimited room and can afford to build or buy what is needed for keeping rays. What I am really looking for is why people keep rays. or why people have gotten out of rays.

I do thank you for your help and still would like to hear from more ray keepers.

And please ask questions before bashing users. I do understand that many people purchase fish without proper research or finances. As I stated before this is the start of my research and I usually research until im blue in the face.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Copeina;777269; said:
They SMELL. Nobody advertises this, but if it is in your home, vent that room directly outdoors. Water changes help, but there will always be an odor. If you still live with your parents, expect resistance.

/Kris
Hi Kris, I have never had that odor issue with rays before . The tank
smells no more than a usual big predatory fish tank. The filter floss in the wet/dry, now that stinks. :irked:

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
The reason I keep rays is, as my girlfriend says, "They're awesome" lol but the reason I enjoy them so much is that they have great personalitlies and the challenge and work involved in being a sucessful ray keeper, such as now that I have been keeping the hardier rays like motoro's and Leo's and they seem to be thriving I want to add a new ray like a P. schroederi (true flower ray) or P. menchacai (tiger ray) which are known to be a bit more difficult on the ray scale. Next will be hopefully breeding them and so on... Ray keeping has been an enjoyable and rewarding experiance me and hope this help you.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just got my motoro so I cant say too much yet other then he looks darn cool, and as a blast to watch, considering he is waaay different then any other fish! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store