The insanity has begun... My 345 SA/CA Build thread

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Striking.... so beautiful im going to have to show this to the wife. Normally shes like its another monster tank... big deal..

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Thanks for all the kind words everyone ;)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Hey guys and gals, it's been a minute since this thread has needed an update but the tank has seen a few changes and I figured it was about time to post em' up.

Well I had a little extra time on my hands a few months ago and decided I had had enough with the fake plants. I unfortunately don't have enough real foliage currently to complete remove the fake stuff (I still have the Crotons and Birds of paradise up) but with a little more time, research and diy I'm sure those will be gone before long as well. Focusing on the good side of the change however; all of the greenery from the upper and middle waterfall has been removed, along with the fake flowers. By adding a screw or two for stem support along the back FRP and arranging the vines of the Pothos to grow in the direction/path I wanted them to I was able to get similar coverage between the rocks and have ended up with this:

While I'm still a ways away from replacing all of the fake (exterior) plants, I do think that I have taken a step in the right direction. Currently I have: Pothos, Peace Lilly and Philodendron growing on and up the right side of the tank and water fall, and only Philodendron on the left. Current plans include adding space for more plant growth all along the front of the waterfall rocks and adding a large plant to the left side of the rocks.

Front:

Right Side:

As far as other updates; If you've been following along now, all 4 of my original "main" lights are now burned out and have been replaced with the new Phillips bulbs. The el-chepo eBay RGB's are however, still running strong. Also, I have yet to do anything else to the stand (LOL) I know I have been talking about closing it up for a while now but with it being hidden for the most part behind the couch, the project keeps getting pushed to the side for more important matters. I know it's something that wouldn't take more than a few hours to do, it's just not something I am rushing to get done. :D

On a sad note Godzilla (my Pleco) died last month, I honestly have no idea what happened to him, no injuries or signs of sickness and all of my other fish have showed no signs of any major stress, so I am loss as to how it happened but none the less it did. :(

He was the messiest fish in my tank bar none and he also hid 90% of the day but he was my oldest fish: I got duped by a chain pet store employee years ago when first buying fish to buy a "cleaning" fish for or new 10gal tank; he grew on me though as he didn't take any lip from any other fish (he actually pinned one of my Oscars against a corner of the tank before) and I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of him.

R.I.P. Godzilla

Thanks again for looking everyone!

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
Very well done.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I know I sound like a parrot, but this is incredible.

Do you happen to have any updated pictures of each individual fish up close? Hard to look at them from the full tank shots.

Also, how are the pathos doing? I've been thinking of using some for my tank.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I know I sound like a parrot, but this is incredible.
Do you happen to have any updated pictures of each individual fish up close? Hard to look at them from the full tank shots.
Also, how are the pathos doing? I've been thinking of using some for my tank.
Thank you for the compliment; I snapped a few pics and even though I had a few hiders, I was able to grab a few descent shots.

Fire Marshal Bill (female) and Moby (male), still the undisputed rulers of the tank.

Abe

One of my female Red humps, I recently lost the male :( and actually debated getting rid of my 3 females but have decided to grow out another male instead and eventually add him to the tank.

Tigger, this is a blurry shot but I like it :)

Mojo JoJo

Dali

Noodle (My wife and son's favorite)

Lady Bird, one of my spotted SD's.

Lucy, honestly I was amazed I was able to get a picture of her; shes almost as shy as my angel Napoleon, so I had to lure her out with some food. She's been wearing darker colors lately because she hangs out near the back in the shaded areas.

Ricky, hes a little more outgoing that Lucy but still fairly shy for the most part.

Cordell, looking like a boss

Minion, I recently removed his mate/buddy Large Marge, because I was actually having some aggression issues with her.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to grab a good pic of everyone as I said before but as a refresher for anyone keeping up, stock list is as follows:

-Cichlids-
1X Albino Tiger Oscar
1X Lutino Tiger Oscar
1X Rotkeil Severum
1X Turquoise Severum
1X Marbled Angel
1X Blue Acara
1X Firemouth
1X Nicaraguan
1X True Parrot (hoplarchus psittacus)
1X Jack Dempsey
1X Texas (Carpintis)
3X Red Hump Geos (female)

-Dithers-
5X Spotted Silver Dollars
6X Denison Barbs
2X Buenos Aires Tetra's

-Oddballs-
Senegal Bichir
Black Ghost Knife

-Clean up-
Flagtail Prochilodus

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Quick Update:

To answer the question about how the Pothos are doing, the answer would be: GREAT!!! They as well as the Peace Lilly and Philodendron are all helping maintain better water chemistry and looking good to boot. The Peace Lilly, doesn't seem to be blooming but it's not dying off either, hopefully one of these days I can get another bloom.

Philodendron growing up and Pothos growing down, can't wait to post an update when they pass each other:

I was going to actually make a small tank update to show the tank as it sits now, with the rest of the faux plants removed from the left side! It's still a little bit empty over there but I am hoping that the removal of my hobby store plants will get me moving on a getting a few new real ones in there. I also rearranged my scape and deco a bit, so I figured I'd throw up a few pics!

Thanks again for looking everyone! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store