The Making of a ADA Nature Aquarium for a Monster Fish

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah i am really happy with the fertilizer i use. Most of them plants came it yellow a week ago and they are already really starting to darken up. These fertilizers are also my by a very talented chemist. The Trive that i am using currently is made specifically for soft water as well. Do you have the name of the product you are referring to?
Pretty normal for plants when they adjust to the new environments.

The professor has 7 mixes of ferts, nicknamed "Dirks secret drops" and these are very popular here but not available abroad

Reactions: Aqua Nut

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
When i read monster ADA tank, i thought you went with the 6' version...

Still a very nice aquascape which im sure your fish absolutely loves...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
When i read monster ADA tank, i thought you went with the 6' version...

Still a very nice aquascape which im sure your fish absolutely loves...
Same, I'm afraid this is far from monster when it comes to scaped tanks

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Same, I'm afraid this is far from monster when it comes to scaped tanks
To be fair to the OP, there arent many well planted 75G+ tanks either though :p

Reactions: J. H. and Aqua Nut

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
To be fair to the OP, there arent many well planted 75G+ tanks either though :p
I agree there. Definitely more advanced than mine, but tech isn't everything

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree there. Definitely more advanced than mine, but tech isn't everything
I didnt mean tech wise or anything bad by my comment, just that not many people dedicate tanks larger than 100G for plants...

Most seem to be 75G or under...

Reactions: Hendre and Aqua Nut

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Yeah it is not a really a monster tank but ADA nature aquariums for a big fish is unheard of and highly protested apparently . My rep was cool with the idea till it was built hahaha They are all about small fish in a beautiful scape.... I have had few guys from ADA just flat out refuse to even look at it due to the fish selection. I guess i wont be winning the IAPLC but it would be cool to see the judges faces with a big fish in the tank.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
I didnt mean tech wise or anything bad by my comment, just that not many people dedicate tanks larger than 100G for plants...

Most seem to be 75G or under...
No it is rare to see a larger tank 100 gallons plus turned into a scape like that , i agree most of planted scaped out there are 20 gallons or less for the simple reason plants and soil are expensive lol i have over $500 of just plants in my tank. about another $200 plus in soil not including the stone. Once you add the co2 system and the new filters thatis like another $700 bucks and not even including the lighting... Most people wont chance a big fish in the tank like that either after spending that kind of money.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Then if you get into rare or very slow propagating plants it starts adding up again lol... Add on a chiller and electricity goes up too, which is probably why i never wanted to make my 200G a true aquascaped tank...

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Then if you get into rare or very slow propagating plants it starts adding up again lol... Add on a chiller and electricity goes up too, which is probably why i never wanted to make my 200G a true aquascaped tank...
Oh yeah and thats the thing man, there is no limit to how stupid you can go with it. I didnt really add that expensive of plants in there,. That number could have doubled in a hurry if i ordered more exotic plants. We wanted to stay with easier plants that anyone could keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store