The Meanist Cichlid?

sicklid-holic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
US
ogre929 said:
"What's the meanest cichlid" ..... what a garbage question. I used to get this question back in the days of the fish trade from the most ghetto of people. They wanted the meanest fish. I'm talking about the most uneducated, ignorant people who asked this question. I got sick of it long ago.

I think some people w/ out much experience wants some ideas of what fish to get. (theres nothing wrong with it). And majority of predatory fish fanatic wants a mean fish. Although all fish has different attitude, but for the most part you can categorized each species to be more meaner than others. For example for the most part, red devils, midas, FH (hybrids) are just glass bangers in aquariums, and most if not all will interact w/ owners and will not tolerate any tankmates.
Another example as semi-aggressive and very interactive fish is an Oscar, but cant be compared to red devils/midas when it comes to aggressions.
However most parachromis species are somewhat shy in nature. But very mean species are Doviis, but can also be shy at times.

So lets say a newbie wants a big fish w/ a wet pet attitude but wants some tankmates for it. Oscar will be one of the best candidate.
But a newbie wants a very mean big fish, that will even attack an owner and will kill anything in the tank. Im sure most will recommend a red devil or midas or FH.

IMO this question is not a garbage, although for most experience hobbyist questions like these will somewhat gets annoying at times, since you already know most type of fish and its attitude. But for a newbie it really matters, to making a good decision.

long2534

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2006
ga
well said sicklid-holic I agree 100%. Also I didnt know people used the word ghetto to describe stuff. I hope they pick up alot of american ebonix type slang itd be hilarious, imagine a middle aged englishman saying "nah that hoods too ghetto". :ROFL:

My moneys on the dovii, although I think if cons got larger they would win the fight

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Is this Flamingo yours..she is Gorgeous!!! I wish i had her for our big male Red Devil.. he is mean fighting machine..

wma8706

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
los angeles
jlewis70 said:
what about the peacock bass. there huge killers and mean how come nobody thinks there tough?
peacock bass are giant predatory cichlids but are not known to be highly aggressive.

cciesielski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
iowa
www.freewebs.com
cons

froggyfiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
it's a toss up between my JD and my melanochromis johanni. Damn johanni only comes out to beat up the others, and spits rocks everywhere. I hate that fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store