The Official: "HEY! They stole that song!" Thread.

bell3306

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Fort Wayne, in
I still think it's funny that most people credit ZZ Top for Lowrider when it was actually War

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
knifegill;4663316; said:
Heard this Skillet song on my friend's Ipod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjlM_RnsVE

A blatant and uninspired if not comical ripoff of Three Days Grace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqds0B_meys

I know there's more! Whatcha got?!
one, how do you know skillet ripped three days grace not the other way around? the videos where post the EXACT same day.
two, those are FAR from blatent ripoffs. just because the subject matter is similar doesnt make them rip offs. if similar subject matter makes a rip off, then all country music is a ripoff, all rap is a rip off all music is a rip of other music

there are plenty of ripoffs, but that doesnt count

ps, i saw skillet in person. great band! music is a bit preachy sometimes but good band none the less

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4666221; said:
one, how do you know skillet ripped three days grace not the other way around? the videos where post the EXACT same day.
two, those are FAR from blatent ripoffs. just because the subject matter is similar doesnt make them rip offs. if similar subject matter makes a rip off, then all country music is a ripoff, all rap is a rip off all music is a rip of other music

ps, i saw skillet in person. great band! music is a bit preachy sometimes but good band none the less
First off Skillet rocks:headbang2!!!! Second I believe music is like fine candy--to enjoy it you must first remove the rapper!!!!! Third; If you listen carefully, How many songs are there that are the same with different lyrics? I've played music all of my life(not just played the radio:ROFL:). I have an ear for this kind of thing as evidently Knifegill does also.

---Chris

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
pi-eyed;4667135; said:
First off Skillet rocks:headbang2!!!! Second I believe music is like fine candy--to enjoy it you must first remove the rapper!!!!! Third; If you listen carefully, How many songs are there that are the same with different lyrics? I've played music all of my life(not just played the radio:ROFL:). I have an ear for this kind of thing as evidently Knifegill does also.

---Chris
again, similar subject(one refers to god other not but u know what i mean) but they dont really sound alike. If you want to strech it they could sound similar but sound no where near what u need to call it a rip off.

and which song came first? vids posted same day, i hear them on the radio same time etc.

and there is some good rap. not too much, but there are good artists out there.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4666221; said:

Eh, you have to admit that they sound really similar as well...
The opening riff for both is practically the same. Not saying I blame either band for the similarities, I like both bands and I personally don't mind the similarities.
Although, just to point this out, Three Days Grace's song came out in '07 and Skillet's is from '09.

TheRealAndyCook

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Canada
they do sound similar, but its hard to say if they copied them...alot of songs use a 4 bar riff which gets repeated threw the song which starts with a note at a pitch, followed by a drop in pitched, followed by a raise in pitch twice that of the drop. then followed by a drop in pitch three times the original drop.

if we generalize the notes to just, a b c d e f g

then it could be represented as, b - c - a - d

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Delhezi222;4667597; said:
Eh, you have to admit that they sound really similar as well...
The opening riff for both is practically the same. Not saying I blame either band for the similarities, I like both bands and I personally don't mind the similarities.
Although, just to point this out, Three Days Grace's song came out in '07 and Skillet's is from '09.
ah ok. but yeah similar but no where near close enough to be a rip off of one another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store