The "one inch per gallon" rule

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
How many gallons of water would this fictional freshwater alien race of mine called the Aqua need if they were kept as pet fish in a large tank? The Aqua would eat almost all duck weed and underwater plants in rivers and lakes.

Is there away to calculate fish tank volume requirements for fictional animals?

The Aqua in this artwork is four and half feet long and 180 pounds while the tail of the Aqua is five to seven feet long.

Now childern stay in Mummy's tail claws.png

Kaptain Kirk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017

So I am not hating on this person. I have seen him produce some really nice fish. He clearly has a lot of fish in the tank. They do not specifically look too stressed though. Do you think fish could learn to even like these conditions? That is if the person is doing large water changes and feeding properly.(large daily water changes)

Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Thank you, I learned something new. I was always confused about this topic.

Kayte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Utah
So I know everyone will roll there eyes. Know that I did search this thread and didn't find the answer to my question. Given the 1 cubic inch to one gallon rule, how many adult fancy goldfish can I stock in a 250 gallon tank. I am starting up a new tank. What is the width and height of a ryukin, butterfly, lionhead, ranchu and oranda when they reach their average growth?

Keightley

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's always sensible to gauge the number of fish for a tank by the size they'll likely attain in that aquarium. I don't want to specify any particular number for your 250. But, here's something I hope will help you decide.

Goldfish-world-record.jpg

Reactions: jhook

Kayte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Utah
That is an atypical oranda! LOL Here are the average sizes of the different types of goldfish:

Oranda 8"
Ryukin 7"
Bubble-Eye 7"
Telescope 7"
Ranchu 7"
Lionhead 8"
Pearlscale 7"
Shubunkin 18-24"
Comet 18-24"
Koi 36-48"

Now some are more sleek and others are more round. So although I have a pretty good idea of length, I don't know about width and height of an average goldfish that I will be keeping: oranda, lionhead, ranchu, and telescope butterfly.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
My rule of thumb is judgement. If the tank seems too crowded it probably is. Better to be understocked than over.

Lol, that "one inch per gallon rule always confused me", as it seems to suggest that 20 3/4-inch neon tetras has the same bioload, and space requirements as a single 15 inch cichlid.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Would u put a 30 inch Asian arowana in a 30 gallon tank. NOPE. Whoever believes this is an idiot.:D
Your strawmaning him. An 30" asian arowana must be at least 5 or so inches tall, and a couple of inches wide, therefore the asian arowana has about 300 square inches. Not saying I follow this rule, just pointing this out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store