The one per 10 gallon rule

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
What do you guys think about this rule? Jack Walteys partner in Miami who my fiancé and I visit regularly keeps telling me as long as I stick by that rule and with the fish at adult size I will never need to do anything but once a week %20 water change and not to worry about the ph as long as it doesn’t rise above 8.5, just keep it stable he says. I get all of my fish from him and I currently have 9 discus which I hope pair off so I can decide on the ones I want to keep to adult size, I feel personally nine adult discus would be cramped. But that’s just me. What do you guys think?

301F154C-ECF1-4C59-92CF-1B530EF40BEC.jpeg

85117676-DD12-4A11-B702-5CE47B00D676.jpeg

3F68DBC3-D44D-4314-AA6B-39F8001C8FF5.jpeg

E5F21BFA-285F-42E0-94A2-EA0AAF5DA34A.jpeg

CBB0AA98-D14E-41AF-A885-8C6BD4176210.jpeg

8E33DA71-03D4-408B-AF7E-095EE8F8BCD1.jpeg

68E6A724-7CF8-4D09-AFC5-148C999B3E6F.jpeg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
What size is your tank?

I'm not a discus guy but discus kind of have their own rules.

I know a guy that keeps 20 discus in a 100 gallon tank but it does two 90% water changes every week!

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
What size is your tank?

I'm not a discus guy but discus kind of have their own rules.

I know a guy that keeps 20 discus in a 100 gallon tank but it does two 90% water changes every week!
If you know Jack Watley, he knows his snit and I almost wanna give what he suggested but at the same time I want my aquarium clean at all times. I do twice weekly %50 water changes. I have ten 3-6 inch discus. I’m waiting them to pair off and remove half of them after I see which pairs I intend to keep. This is my “growout aquarium I guess you could say.. I even change about ten gallons twice weekly on top of that to vacuum the sand lol. I change my filter socks daily if that says how obsessive I am about it being pristine. Everything I read online was wrong man.. about they ABSOLUTELY NEED low ph. Mine are thriving at 7.8 or so. Just like he told me they soils. All I add to my discus tank is prime. As long as your ph is stable they acclimate. These fish have hardiness in their blood line.. I’m surprised at how easy it’s been.

I’ll stop now I could go on all day

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry I can’t comment on how many per gallon. I just wanted to say those red and yellow ones are jaw dropping!
Where did you get them? If you don’t mind me asking.

Reactions: jacobfata

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Thank you both. They are my babies and my pride and joy! I live in the Miami area. So I got to the Jack Watley store locally. He has two down here I believe one in palm beach also. Anyways, You’re probably talking about my melons or my pigeon bloods. Do you know about Jack Wattley discus? If not Google it and the website should pop right up. And you can order online but I go to the store in person and have met the current owner now on several occasions, it’s not as hard as they make it out to be. His tutorial videos make discus keeping easy. I go like every weekend or so LOL. They have absolutely everything you could dream for, and for absolutely dirt cheap. His fish are hardy and healthy! In store price, I’m guessing is the same as online but I purchased a six inch panda for $60 to give you an idea of the pricing lol.

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Ime discus keeping needn't be difficult. You can make it difficult by how you keep and feed them, but it doesn't need to be (that said I would have to have a very lightly stocked tank to only do 25% weekly water changes). As far as pH, there's a distinction between species in the wild that many discus keeping 'experts' don't make, which is that green and heckle discus come from low pH, but wild brown/blue discus come from pH varying from 6.0 up to 7.8, this according to Heiko Bleher who has spent many years in their wild habitat.

During the years I kept them I started at lower pH, that's what all the books said at the time. But with experience I learned this isn't necessary (I had variations of red/brown/blue discus, including wilds and some of the very early pigeon blood discus) and by the time I was in Florida with pristine well water at 7.6 I found they did great in that water-- which makes even more sense now in view of their varying native habitats. That said, I wouldn't personally keep them much over 8. My observation over the years is fish that can tolerate higher than their natural pH may do fine but not live as long if it's too much higher, though this varies by species. And if you want to breed them, discus tolerate higher pH than what is necessarily good for successful breeding.

As an example of species variance, without retelling the story, I found red head geos are tolerant of pH a good bit higher than guianacara-- so it does vary by species. Different species have different ranges of adaptability. You could simplify and say this graduates from comfort level to tolerance level to low level stress you may not detect (but can shorten their life-span), to a level causing distress or noticeable susceptibility to illness.

As a consequence, I prefer not to keep fish at or near their limits of tolerance. Someone can say I keep my discus at 8.8 and they're fine, but personally I wouldn't go there-- my opinion.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store