The one per 10 gallon rule

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Yeah I would never let it go near 8. My tap for the most part stays at 7.6-8 and they do excellent. They’re active and already growing in the two months I’ve had them. I just don’t understand how %20 weekly water changes would be safe for nine adult discus (mine aren’t adults). But this is coming from the Jack Watley. That’s how he did every discus aquarium he ever had!!
Mine did really well in pH 7.5-7.6, Florida well water (Crystal River). 50-70% weekly water changes. But I always say there's no single right answer for water changes, depends on a number of variables. What I do varies some even on my own tanks.

Reactions: jacobfata

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
I have come back here about five times just to look at that fish and finally I stole your photo.

View attachment 1375010

This is a real Beauty!
Thank you. I got her from the Jack Watley store in Miami as with most of the others. She’s a panda/melon cross I believe. She’s our largest female about 5-6 inches.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I think I'd rather sell my children, but they're all in their 40s so I wouldn't get much for 'em. ;)

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The leopard spotted one is very nice too. They're really all just fabulous looking fish.

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
I rehomed the albino pigeon blood male. Now I have nine discus in a 90 gallon.

Pudmuppy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2019
Hi Jacobfata - beautiful tank!
I am in a continuously changing internal debate with myself as to whether I want to go Discus or SA cichlid tank, I have heard that Discus can be a bit "boring" to watch, but from hanging out on the forum, it seems like this is not the case, they are still very interesting to look at, they just arent as boisterous as some species eg rainbowfish, which is actually my preference, I don't like busy tanks! How do you feel about yours, are they lovely and entertaining to watch?

Yours are very beautiful by the way! I have been hanging out on the Wattley discus site too and think I will use them as my supplier.

I would love to know where you got the tank/what brand that is, as it looks exactly what I have been looking for as well!

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Hi Jacobfata - beautiful tank!
I am in a continuously changing internal debate with myself as to whether I want to go Discus or SA cichlid tank, I have heard that Discus can be a bit "boring" to watch, but from hanging out on the forum, it seems like this is not the case, they are still very interesting to look at, they just arent as boisterous as some species eg rainbowfish, which is actually my preference, I don't like busy tanks! How do you feel about yours, are they lovely and entertaining to watch?

Yours are very beautiful by the way! I have been hanging out on the Wattley discus site too and think I will use them as my supplier.

I would love to know where you got the tank/what brand that is, as it looks exactly what I have been looking for as well!
Thank you for the comments! I’m very much so enjoying my discus from Jack Wattley. They are actually beginning to pair off and are doing quite well with simple, routine weekly water changes 9f %50. I literally just add prime to the water and they do the rest. They are very social and interact with me and my fiancé through out the day. Like all cichlids, they have a lot of personality lol. I bought my aquarium from exotic aquatics in pompano beach Florida. It’s a 90 with build in sump filtration.

3DF03BD4-4964-4667-8EF5-F0E97E8F43BE.jpeg

Reactions: FIU Panther and Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store