The team (my polys)

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Magic Elixer below clm08k clm08k use it often. Since 1 cap handles 50g. It'll last quite a while on your 55g, and it's ok to 2x, or even XXX the dosage like these guys. It worked for them.

PG02961.jpg

jr9E3_s-200x150.gif

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thank you! Me too!

Thank you. They traveled across the country! It’s crazy; they are more well-travelled than I am. The most west I’ve been is Chicago and parts of Wisconsin.

Thank you for sending them to me. And thanks so much for staying up and answering all my fish questions. I’m sending you something this week. It’s a secret lol.

Macaroni is getting more active and Soba likes swimming around at night. But both still aren’t eating very much. Whereas Piggie and the del have voracious appetites. I’m feeding every other day and offer tilapia, carnivore pellets, and catfish primarily.tried bloodworms, but nobody seemed interested. I’m also trying to feed with lights out (Soba seems to like that better). What else should I try? Just seems like they are only eating a few small pieces a couple times a week. And I know derpy Macaroni has a reputation of inhaling her food. :p she’s so derpy. It’s adorable. Want to see if I can get her eating more again and make Soba more interested in food. Other than that, they seem pretty calm and happy.

I even upped the WC to (75%-80%) 2 Times a week. because nitrates were 80ppm after 7 days. With a twice a week I’m keeping it under 40. Should I get more plants?

Thanks! PLANTFACE is staying in the family and going to Nman Nman . Just waiting to catch up via text for some logistics. Hoping to ship her out this week.

Thanks, Hao. Hoping my albino will be the next Godzilla. ;)

Thanks, Ron! I am appreciative that you guys have upped my game and encouraged me to keep going.
How many days a week are you feeding them ?

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
+1

twentyleagues twentyleagues are you gonna document the drip system build ? If you do tag me as im eventually going to set one up as well
If I do document it it will be in my thread but when I post something on it I'll tag you. We will see I have a large honey do list this weekend.

Reactions: clm08k and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx brosky

If I do document it it will be in my thread but when I post something on it I'll tag you. We will see I have a large honey do list this weekend.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
You can put purigen in your filter. Just get prebagged one maybe get two so while you are recharging one you can use the other. With plant level lighting you get algae the feather /blackbeard probably came in on plants and can live even in the lowest nitrate tanks. Manual removal or in one thread I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide squirt on it during w/c or remove item and do it. Either way I dealt with some different algae's in the 75 and now in the 180 too eventually it starts to receded and die off with good husbandry skills. My nitrates are around 40 on w/c day and around 10 when done. I'm hooking up a drip w/c this weekend hopefully, but I think ill still do some vacuuming and smaller weekly w/c once its in place. Don't get too wrapped up in it just keep up maintenance. The sponge really shouldnt need replacement all that much just rinse it out really good, I guess though you could I mean it doesn't get any cleaner then new.
The hydrogen peroxide sounds interesting. I think someone else mentioned that in my algae thread. Wonder how long I should soak the plants after.

Thanks for mentioning your experience with algae. That makes me feel a lot better. Also good to know about the sponge. Will try the purigen. Would love to follow the drip thread and see what that is.
+1

The tank looks awesome and i love piggy smalls lol

Dont swap out your foam. Along with mech it also provides additional bio as bb will colonize on/in it.

Look i to swiss tropicals poret foam. I hate the foam block that cpme with the ac filters they are complete garbage. I switched mine out for poret foam 30ppi and it makes a hige difference. Tje poret foam is really dense similar to the consistency of a sponge filter amd does a great job polishing the water. It comes in 2 or 4 inch sheets and you just cut it to match the old foam. Get the 2 inch thickness as its much easier to clean than 4 inches.

twentyleagues twentyleagues are you gonna document the drip system build ? If you do tag me as im eventually going to set one up as well
Thank you! Piggie smalls is a trip. He’s gonna be the head hauncho. That is good to know about the sponge. I wasn’t sure if there was B.B. in it or not. Makes me feel a lot better about not throwing it away. been cleaning it in the tank water I’m removing during water changes.
Will definitely pm you for the foam. Thank you so much!
A preflter is literally just a round sponge that you put over your intake. Just a lot of crap before it gets into the filter and you can clean that really easily.
This is a great description. I knew exactly what you were talking about ahahah.

Reactions: magpie

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
T thefredpit : a pleco sounds cool, I don’t know a lot about them though besides the high bioload. A little nervous about that, my bioload seems pretty high already. Or would it make a difference? would it suck on the polys slime coats Or is that just the commons? What plecos have you found to be poly friendly....that wouldn’t get too big for a 55g(at least not for a while)

Magic Elixer below clm08k clm08k use it often. Since 1 cap handles 50g. It'll last quite a while on your 55g, and it's ok to 2x, or even XXX the dosage like these guys. It worked for them.

View attachment 1280137

View attachment 1280139
Okay I’ll convert to prime. :p you guys have reminded me enough times. Was using tetra, but prime does seem to have high regard here. Is prime just for dechlorinator and chloramines in the tap water? Or what does the 2x dosing do?
How many days a week are you feeding them ?
I feed every other day. So 3-4x a week, rotating between tilapia and hikari carnivore. Then I do catfish 1x a week.
Ie) M:carnivore, W: tilapia, F: carnivore, Su: catfish.

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 : right now there doesn’t seem to be a dominant one. All are getting along peacefully. However, Piggie smalls always is the most hungry(he outcompetes everyone for the food) and consistently tries to get to the bottom of the piles. I think he wants to be top dog.its exciting cause he’s 5 inch now. The del is becoming more assertive in getting to the food now so I would say is second. Although macaroni definitely has authority around the tank and is getting a lot more active. Soba is the most passive and always lets the others slide underneath him. He’s so cute planking though!

twentyleagues twentyleagues : looking forward to the build!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
T thefredpit : a pleco sounds cool, I don’t know a lot about them though besides the high bioload. A little nervous about that, my bioload seems pretty high already. Or would it make a difference? would it suck on the polys slime coats Or is that just the commons? What plecos have you found to be poly friendly....that wouldn’t get too big for a 55g(at least not for a while)
The bichir friendly smaller plecos that I have found are L137 Bruno(great algae eater but will need veggies too), L264 Sultan(meat eater), L160 spiny monster(meat eater), all Royal plecos(need wood and very slow growers), L076 Orange Seam and bristlenose

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Okay I’ll convert to prime. :p you guys have reminded me enough times. Was using tetra, but prime does seem to have high regard here. Is prime just for dechlorinator and chloramines in the tap water? Or what does the 2x dosing do?

I feed every other day. So 3-4x a week, rotating between tilapia and hikari carnivore. Then I do catfish 1x a week.
Ie) M:carnivore, W: tilapia, F: carnivore, Su: catfish.

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 : right now there doesn’t seem to be a dominant one. All are getting along peacefully. However, Piggie smalls always is the most hungry(he outcompetes everyone for the food) and consistently tries to get to the bottom of the piles. I think he wants to be top dog.its exciting cause he’s 5 inch now. The del is becoming more assertive in getting to the food now so I would say is second. Although macaroni definitely has authority around the tank and is getting a lot more active. Soba is the most passive and always lets the others slide underneath him. He’s so cute planking though!

twentyleagues twentyleagues : looking forward to the build!
No ammonia right ? No nitrate in the tap water ?

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
The bichir friendly smaller plecos that I have found are L137 Bruno(great algae eater but will need veggies too), L264 Sultan(meat eater), L160 spiny monster(meat eater), all Royal plecos(need wood and very slow growers), L076 Orange Seam and bristlenose
Thanks for the tip! I’ll look into those too.

No ammonia right ? No nitrate in the tap water ?
Not to my knowledge. I’ll post pics of tank water pre W/C and the tap water either today or tomorrow. That way we can all check.

Reactions: Jafar P Arab
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store