The Trifecta - It should work, right?

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I currently have a red tail, and a hybrid (rtc/tsn). I would like to have a tsn as well in the pond with them. I know I have to grow it out to at least 20-24 inches before I put it in with the big guys. But will it work? They're the only fish in the pond. The two in there now are about 24 and 28 inches, and we haven't had any issue. Just wanting other opinions or personal experience with this. Picture for tax lol.

20200622_072003.jpg

BIG FISH BOB

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2019
I have a TSN and a red tail together and they are completely fine together, I have had them together for 4 years. I have the red tail for 12 years. I made sure the TSN was wide enough before adding him to the tank.....length means NOTHING to a red tail. If it fits in his mouth......he will eat it......just might take a long time. You will find that the RTC will stay deeper than the TSN. They won't be a problem at all..... if the TSN makes it through the first week.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
A bit like people, catfish have different personalities. Generalising you should be ok. If fed weekly my red tail is perfectly ok with fish in his pond that are bite sized snacks for him, but that is certainly not the case for all red tail or indeed all hybrids or all TSN.
May also come down to space. Red tail generally don’t care about territory, they go anywhere/ everywhere, as do the hybrids and to a certain extent TSN. Hence these three being kept together on many occasions for the past 20 years or more.
IMO It’s often other, more territorial catfish that cause the issues.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a safe gamble but a gamble nevertheless. TSN would be the slimmest and most fragile in this trio. Usually TSN are shy too. Your pond looks big. The bigger it is, the less problems you should have.

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Im one of the ones with a rogue cat where my red tail is very territorial even in a 20' x 8' tank. And theres not even any bloody decorations in it. He has a corner in the tank that he guards with his life and does considerable damage to fish that enter his zone. On his positive side he can be in with fish he could easily eat but dosnt.he will even go weeks without feeding just so he can stay in his corner and either ride it out until his really hungry then dart to centre of tank take some food and rush back or what now usually happens is wait till i throw his food in right on top of him. The tsn has learnt to stay away and is fine unless he gets to close to said corner

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Im one of the ones with a rogue cat where my red tail is very territorial even in a 20' x 8' tank. And theres not even any bloody decorations in it. He has a corner in the tank that he guards with his life and does considerable damage to fish that enter his zone. On his positive side he can be in with fish he could easily eat but dosnt.he will even go weeks without feeding just so he can stay in his corner and either ride it out until his really hungry then dart to centre of tank take some food and rush back or what now usually happens is wait till i throw his food in right on top of him. The tsn has learnt to stay away and is fine unless he gets to close to said corner
Wow. That bad a case? This'd be the first and the severest case I'd say I have ever heard of. Who does the RTC tolerate and who does it not tolerate in its corner? None at all? Bottom or mid-water too? Any catfish? Your pima? Your Nile perch? Fly river turtle :) ?

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
He will only allow the rays to enter his corner and even then turns constanly till they have moved then he puts his head back in the corner and relaxes. His took half the tail of the vundu which has grew back and his given the shovelnose a few moderate bite marks. The nile perch try to rest in the upper level there and he goes up to bite them making that incredible snapping noise when his mouth slams shut. There far to quick for him but he still trys. Other cats pima gar etc he will either snap at or body swipe them and when he does that to the nigers his left with marks on him but will do it untill they move

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
Well that's a tad reassuring and terrifying at the same time lol. It's not super large, 8 feet by 6 feet. Around 800 gallons. They're hand fed and both come up to eat together without aggression. We added them at the same time, so that may have helped. I'm hoping that once our little deformed dude gets large enough, we can add it without incident. He's tiny now, but we all know how fast they grow. I hope he makes it, he's eating well so we shall see.

20200806_204403.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I'm hoping it's a tsn and not one of the mislabeled hybrid species. Fingers crossed, but if y'all see something, please point it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store