The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Tried it a bit but with my drip in place plus their primitive bladders I didn't notice a huge difference.
Interesting feedback but I can see that. My drip is similar. Pretty hard to dose things and what not. Best left to just do their thing I guess. Still I would like to try the link Neil posted. The grow outs are pretty heavy on mechanical over here

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Buddy in town has a drip system as well, but the bacteria will colonize everything, just like bio bacteria, so it won't dissipate quickly. He uses it mostly to keep cyanobacteria at bay. I use it for breaking down waste, and for its competitive exclusion edge against pathogenic bacteria.

With regards to waste, the end result should be similar to what Hikari shows in their probiotic experiment. http://www.hikari.info/koi/k_10det02.html

Reactions: JK47

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Thank you RD!

I start dosing my tank with septobac late last year. I believe in the positive probiotic effect and was intrigued with what it might mean for my canisters. I run 2 FX 5's and an Ehiem 2217 on a very heavily overstocked 180 each filter is cleaned every 6 months with a one month gap between each ones cycle.

Well today I cracked open one of the FX 5's for its 6 month cleaning. Typically the foam pads are quite heavy with sludge.

The picture below says it all!!

image.jpeg

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Thank you RD!

I start dosing my tank with septobac late last year. I believe in the positive probiotic effect and was intrigued with what it might mean for my canisters. I run 2 FX 5's and an Ehiem 2217 on a very heavily overstocked 180 each filter is cleaned every 6 months with a one month gap between each ones cycle.

Well today I cracked open one of the FX 5's for its 6 month cleaning. Typically the foam pads are quite heavy with sludge.

The picture below says it all!!

View attachment 1247221
You get 6 months between cleanings?! I'm lucky if I get a month with my FX6 (90gal tank). Sponges are always thick with sludge.

Sounds like I need to try some of that Septobac as well!

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
since its been so long, and there has been some long term use
has anyone been able to determine the effects of out competing
pathogenic bacteria? I know this would probably be hard to determine
but has anyone seen a difference in overall health of their fish?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It appears to be one in the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store