The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
RD. RD. i saw you use the bactri product. Do you use the pond version? How do you determine dosage? I couldn't get their calculator work. Also it looks like you don't do the whole mixing process, you just dump directly in the tank?

Thanks!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Is anyone using earthworm septic? Looks like ridx is the favorite. Also, are there any special considerations for when you are running a drip?

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
wow. just read this whole thread . you guys are awesome. started the ridx treatment tonight. looking forward to a cleaner canister especially in my 150g goldfish tank, crazy to think how much poop 15 little guys make and how quickly they clog up an fx4.

threads like this are the reason MFK.com is the only fish forum iv joined . the ks guys :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
nzafi ..... yes, I use the pond version. I also still use septo-bac. I don't use a precise measurement, just experiment a little. With the bactri pond I use less than a 1/4 teaspoon per 100 gallons. That's probably overkill, but it has never had a negative impact on the fish.

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
I read through the whole thread and decided to try it for myself. Dosed 1/2 tablespoon Rid-X in my 38 gallon by putting it in a fish net in front of a powerhead for a few hours. Every time I shook the net, small white pieces would fall through and now my substrate looks dusted. I'm assuming that's just very small particles of the wheat bran carrier and that the bacteria itself isn't visible? Will probably get a finer material to hold the bran next time.

There is one dead spot next to a rock where waste tends to accumulate. It'll be interesting to see if it'll stop gathering there because the bacteria breaks down the waste faster now.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Rid-X in my 38 gallon by putting it in a fish net in front of a powerhead for a few hours. Every time I shook the net, small white pieces would fall through and now my substrate looks dusted. I'm assuming that's just very small particles of the wheat bran carrier and that the bacteria itself isn't visible? Will probably get a finer material to hold the bran next time.
Hello; had a similar experience first time I used RID-X. I did not like adding the bulk materials. This is what I have tried.

I added some RID-X to a small jar of tank water. I allowed it to sit a few hours. I then poured the resulting stuff thru a coffee filter in a funnel into a second jar. I poured the filtered liquid into the tank. My thinking is I want the probiotic bacteria and not the bran and other stuff.
I welcome any feed back about this method.

Reactions: Rhykiru

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Post # 41 by Oddball ……

I avoid the 'bits' getting into the tank by activating the powder in an old carafe first. 900 GPH clears up the cloudiness within minutes. I dissolve 4 tablespoons of Rid-X in aquarium water and shake/mix the concoction about every 30 minutes for 4-6 hours. Afterwards, I pour the liquid portion into the tank while leaving the sediment at the bottom of the carafe. A little bit of the sediment may get in the tank but doesn't seem to adversely affect the fish. The filter takes care of the sediment fairly quickly.

Post # 45 by RD. …………

The solid particles are simply the media in which the dried bacteria spores are stored. Once the bacteria are rehydrated (such as Oddball described) they no longer serve any purpose and do not need to be added to the tank.

The entire dry mix can be added to ones tank but I rehydrate mine the same way that Oddball previously described, and attempt to keep most/all of the solids in the mixing/rehydrating container, and not in my tank.

Reactions: Rhykiru

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
Thanks. Reading everything =/= remembering everything it seems. Went with the net method but didn't think that some of the bran particles would be that small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store