The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This was explained early on in the discussion, from post # 41.

Odball stated; "I avoid the 'bits' getting into the tank by activating the powder in an old carafe first. 900 GPH clears up the cloudiness within minutes. I dissolve 4 tablespoons of Rid-X in aquarium water and shake/mix the concoction about every 30 minutes for 4-6 hours. Afterwards, I pour the liquid portion into the tank while leaving the sediment at the bottom of the carafe. A little bit of the sediment may get in the tank but doesn't seem to adversely affect the fish. The filter takes care of the sediment fairly quickly."

I followed up on that in post #45.

The solid particles are simply the media in which the dried bacteria spores are stored. Once the bacteria are rehydrated (such as Oddball described) they no longer serve any purpose and do not need to be added to the tank.

The entire dry mix can be added to ones tank but I rehydrate mine the same way that Oddball previously described, and attempt to keep most/all of the solids in the mixing/rehydrating container, and not in my tank.

HTH

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
This was explained early on in the discussion, from post # 41.

Odball stated; "I avoid the 'bits' getting into the tank by activating the powder in an old carafe first. 900 GPH clears up the cloudiness within minutes. I dissolve 4 tablespoons of Rid-X in aquarium water and shake/mix the concoction about every 30 minutes for 4-6 hours. Afterwards, I pour the liquid portion into the tank while leaving the sediment at the bottom of the carafe. A little bit of the sediment may get in the tank but doesn't seem to adversely affect the fish. The filter takes care of the sediment fairly quickly."

I followed up on that in post #45.

The solid particles are simply the media in which the dried bacteria spores are stored. Once the bacteria are rehydrated (such as Oddball described) they no longer serve any purpose and do not need to be added to the tank.

The entire dry mix can be added to ones tank but I rehydrate mine the same way that Oddball previously described, and attempt to keep most/all of the solids in the mixing/rehydrating container, and not in my tank.

HTH
Yeah I guess I should just do it that way too. I dont know why I try and complicate stuff. Seems that would be easiest.

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Managed to make it through this thread, it is very informative and I will be incorporating Septicare into my tanks. I did just order some type of pond tablets that I was planning on turning into a powder so I will be able to dose half the tanks with one and half the tanks with the other.

As for the last post here, regarding the NLS foods... I have been reading up on the probiotic foods and am interested in the product, however, the pellets they sell are sinking and small and most of the time, Sold Out! My fish eat floating pellets 2-3mm, flakes and or Carni Sicks

There are other brands of floating pellets that supposedly are probiotic, but I am leery to waste the money...

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The Large Fish Probiotix formula is 3-3.5mm, and sink slowly IME.

I_Talk_2_Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2018
Somewhere in New York
Hmmmm, wondering if I could / should make my own, the same way as making the medicated food...

Sorry to have derailed the thread a bit!

Back on track, I have a product called Septicare and after reading this thread entirely, but only reading a few of the links, I skeptically took some out of the container and added it to the goldfish tank and filter... My heart was in my throat and I was apologizing to these 39 cent feeder fish, whom I've had for a few years, that they were now my "lab rats!" The catfish, named Dawg, was the one I expected to show distress first, but nada, by the end of the day, they seemed fine, no harm, no foul!

Added some to 4 of my other tanks, cold as well as tropical and again, the fish do not appear to be experiencing any stress from the addition. I'm going to get some Rid-X today when I am out at the hardware store and use that on the other 5 tanks, to do a comparison.

I had purchased a sludge remover made by tetra, one block is supposed to treat 250 gal, but at this point, I may just hold on to those for the actual pond (small, pre molded, no fish, just a water feature).

I will report back here as to how my experiment goes!

PS- I like the fact that this thread was started years ago and anyone can still post on it! I belong to another site that will actually scold you if you comment on "an old thread," and most new comers don't know that when they are directed to the site looking for help with a certain issue! So THANKS!

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I'm finally gonna do this. I saw the sticky back in May and I think I initially didn't do it bc I remember reading somewhere that my driftwood would break down faster. Also my bioloads were light back then.

Lately Ive gotten annoyed with my water changes on the main and two QT tanks and found this thread again.

Of course I was attracted to the reports of the reduction in mulm in the filters. Also, my fish have scraped themselves this past week, so I'm attracted to the posdipossib of these bacteria outcompeting harmgil bacteria that may be present.

Prices:
Just some prices for those in USA. At my Walmart in the Chicago area, it's $18.97 for what they call a 4 month amount of 39.2oz.

It's cheaper at Sam's club online (not available in store), 5 month 49oz for $15.94. You need a Plus account for free shipping but when I priced in paying for shipping, it would still be about $1.50 cheaper for me to buy it from them.

I bought Walmart's 39.2oz box so I can start this tonight.

Reactions: jcarson

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Okay. I just added to all my tanks. I trust you guys so I didn't even do a trial run. I did the 1 tbsp per 50 gallon dose for Rid-x. I see there's also a 1 tbsp per 90g dose.

For my two QT tanks, I added just after a water change. One of them has a bacterial bloom bc I accidentally dumped about 70% of a container of NLS fry food this morning.

I did the method of putting tank water in a cup and stirring periodically over a few hours. I prevented most of the particles from going in using a spoon. In the 125g, I let in more of the debris. I'm not worried as everyone says the stuff isn't harmful but I'll try to strain better next time.

Ive been changing water every other day bc two fish scraped themselves this week. I'm due for a change tomorrow but I'll probably just wait till Sunday so the bacteria has more time to.marinate. I suppose I could just redose.

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
After reading 15 pages of years old discussion and I am in!
Just purchased some earthworm last night and gonna give this a run.
So just to recap what I have read so far on dosage, its....

1 Tbls per 50 gallons every 7-14 days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store