The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
That's great, thanks for the update.

I have added a new arsenal of probiotic bacteria to my tanks, via New Life Spectrums Probiotix formulas. I believe that these formulas by NLS contain a wider spectrum of live bacteria, and at far higher numbers compared to other foods. My fish all eat it with great gusto, and I will monitor results over time.
I think it's pretty awesome that in the time this thread was created the advances have been made in fish food that you can get behind and support.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
After three weeks of use, I'll say I noticed a difference in the gunk of the filters for sure. Seems less slimy and easier to squeeze out the sponges. The gravel debris also seems more dusty. I'm waiting to squeezr out my big powerhead run sponges 7-10 days instead of twice a week.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Fabulous thread, read this sucker in half an hour...

Will definitely use this method and will post results, including what if any effect it may have on brown algae.

Reactions: jcarson

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
I have been reading the entire 46 pages off and on when I have time over the last couple days. I am thinking of implementing rid x into my routine but I have a couple clarifications please!

I recall 1 mention of this early in the thread but it was quickly brushed over I think- since these do break down organics I can assume drift wood will break down faster within an aquarium dosing with something like rid x?

Can I also assume since these various products shouldn't affect aerobic bacteria that they also shouldn't affect anaerobic bacteria as well?

In my diy sumps I have made low flow areas that contain upwards of 5 gallons of seachem pond matrix in hopes to grow anaerobic bacteria. Just a little experiment and fun to see what happens.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have never noticed any break down of driftwood in my tanks, probably would be too slow for the human eye to detect. Maybe over a decade or more? I think that your bacteria will be fine, but I'm no expert. Good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never noticed any break down of driftwood in my tanks, probably would be too slow for the human eye to detect. Maybe over a decade or more? I think that your bacteria will be fine, but I'm no expert. Good luck.
Agree, I have aways had a lot of wood in my tanks, and never noticed breakdown, other than from Plecostomus, or from wood munching cichlids like bocourti and pearsei.

manakh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2016
Awesome good to know! I have to assume the wood might decompose slightly faster but maybe not enough to be noticeable. I could be wrong too, but that seems logical to me....?? Lol

Any more speculation on anaerobic bacteria effect if any? I am no expert on the matter but I would think it would have none. Anaerobic grows in less or no oxygen enviroments.

What about use with an anoxic filtration method?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In order to make use of anaerobic bacteria, the filter (sump, whatever) would need to have an anoxic zone. This would be an area where water movement is "so slow" (almost dead) where these anaerobes, or facultative anaerobes could thrive, in an nearly oxygen free environment. These dead zones often create hydrogen sulfide pockets, that when released as bubbles, smell like rotten eggs, and if there is enough of it, can be deadly to sensitive fish.
Not a desirable idea inside a house.
This is not the common, in aquariums, so what these bio additives do instead, is provide food (enzymes etc) that promote aerobic organisms ( bacteria, rotifers etc) that compete with less desirable organisms.
Rotifers need plenty of oxygen, as well as the bacteria we want, why filter turnover rates are kept high.
Back in the 90s, plenums were causing a stir, they were anoxic areas under a deep sand bed substrate with little to no water movement, I experimented with them, but because I kept cichlids that dig, I could not maintain that anoxic area. They were mostly used for nitrate reduction in salt water tanks, that were expensive to do water changes on, kind over over kill in freshwater tanks, that are easy and cheap to do water changes on.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I understand that the main reason most are using these probiotic treatments is to reduce organic waste, sludge etc. However, as these really aren't issues in my lightly stocked, bare bottom tanks, I'm more interested in the benefits as pertains to out-competing pathogenic bacteria as a preventative measure.

Bacillus sp. is mentioned as as being most commonly used in these bacterial treatments -- I'm just wondering if Rhodospirillaceae (nonsulfur photosynthetic bacteria) are also equally useful in this regard or are Bacillus better?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store