The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I started to read thru all 6.5 years of this thread and my eyes pooped out.
It seems to me that Rid-x should work for me too. I'm going to start this today.

We are going to be facing more water restrictions some day soon I suspect, and reducing changes and pathogens will be a real boon. I've done whatever I could in that respect so far with good results. I run twice as much water, and change half as much. The fluid sand filter is really helping.

I'm running about 400 gals in 3 systems now, and high water costs will likely discourage me from enlarging or building a pond.

But the bottom line is I intend to try adding Rid-x and I'm wondering if anybody here has used it in a brackish system?
Or is there a more suitable product?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
In order to make use of anaerobic bacteria, the filter (sump, whatever) would need to have an anoxic zone. . .
Does this anoxic action happen within a fluidized bed filter? I have had my sand filter working on the 200g system a couple months now, and it seems to be helping a lot with water quality. Much more than I though for such a small (3lb) filter.

Do you think Rid-x would affect the sand filter?

I have gravel beds as well, and I think it will help them.

But now that the sand is well cycled, I don't want to bugger it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not sure about brackish, but I can't see why it would be any different. I recall yrs ago some postings regarding this on marine forums.

To bring this thread full circle, 6 1/2 yrs later my results are not exactly what I was hoping for. My plan was to reduce water changes, as well as filter cleanings. My water changes are larger now than before, and I have reduced stock levels. lol As I initially suspected, nothing but a reduction in bio load, will help with reducing water changes. There's a lot more going on with our tank water, than just nitrates, and the only real solution to pollution, is dilution. The old Army Corps of Engineers dictum of "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution" still holds true today.

The good news is that with the addition of SeptoBac my filter media and intake tubes stay cleaner, for a lot longer, than they did in all the years prior to using probiotics. I posted the following 6 yrs ago, and my results today are the same as 6+ yrs ago. I have tried a few different products over the years, one made locally and designed specifically for ponds, and IME I still get the best bang for my buck with SeptoBac. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/septobac-septic-treatment-powder/6000161803251

I cannot prove one way or the other what (if any) effect the product that I use (SeptoBac) has had on the growth or overall immunity of any of my fish, or whether it is out-competing pathogenic bacteria (hopefully I don't have any present in numbers that could be problematic) - but what I can say with 100% certainty is that the *probiotic* septic tank bacteria I have been using for the past several months has most definitely reduced the organics in my tanks, and filters. That alone has been well worth it for me.

What is also interesting to note is how this thread has been shared on various other forums across the internet, in some cases copied in its entirety, and over the years how many hobbyists have shared in this success story. Posts like the one quoted above by Burbotman really says it all for me.

As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Does this anoxic action happen within a fluidized bed filter? I have had my sand filter working on the 200g system a couple months now, and it seems to be helping a lot with water quality. Much more than I though for such a small (3lb) filter.

Do you think Rid-x would affect the sand filter?

I have gravel beds as well, and I think it will help them.

But now that the sand is well cycled, I don't want to bugger it.
As a general concept, in a moving bed, there wouldn't be an anoxic zone, the point of flow and constant motion in a moving bed is to provide constant supply of oxygen to the aerobes.
An anoxic zone is a place with a the lack of oxygen favors anaerobes.
I believe the type bacteria or other animals such as rotifers, would not be hurt by Rid-X in the aerated areas, whether or not to would favor them is another question, I'm not up to speed on details any more now that I'm retired and out of the lab.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I know that the safety of some of these products has been called to question years ago, and on that subject I can only speak on the products that I have used, both which proved to be very safe for even sensitive species, such as clown loaches etc. In fact, I have used SeptoBac in my tanks when both eggs and free swimming fry are in the tank, with no negative issues noted. The photo below was taken a couple of days ago, the day after a routine dose of SeptoBac.

1574546987273.png

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
On a side note that's a cool shot Neil, I imagine those 2 could make some good looking babies, ever grown any out?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I bet they could, but no, they are sacrificed to the community.

Uglyknob

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Lakeland, FL
For the re-hydrating and removing solid mass part, could you just dump the powder in the filter cups of the sump? Let the solids sit in the poly-fill or whatever and the bacteria go on about its business.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store