The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A couple of things to note thus far.

Ten days ago I set up 3 glass storage containers, with each container holding just over a liter of distilled water. To which I then added 1 tablespoon of bacteria to the container on the left, and the middle, leaving the container on the far right with just distilled water. Once the dust settled a bit I added 6 large carnivorous pellets, that are high in protein & fat.

1577574786183.png

As you can see the Bio-Clean container had a more milky look to it, while the SeptoBac appears more brown. What you can't see in those pics is how much more soluble the Bio-Clean is. The SeptoBac left a thick layer of bran etc, that even after 10 days did not dissolve, or get digested. The little black balls found in the SeptoBac formula, were still there at the end of the 10 days. After reviewing the Safety Data Sheet for SeptoBac, I believe that those black "specks" listed under their color reference, are possibly pieces of Perlite. https://summitbrands.ca/wp-content/...atment-Septic-Pacs-English-GHS-Rev-12-....pdf

3. Composition/Information on Ingredients
Mixture

Chemical name: Citric Acid
CAS Number: 77-92-9 3-7
3-7%

Chemical name: Perlite, expanded
CAS Number: 93763-70-3
0.1-1.5%

All concentrations are in percent by weight unless ingredient is a gas. Gas concentrations are in percent by volume. US GHS: The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret in accordance with paragraph (i) of §1910.1200.

I could be wrong as there is no clarification from the manufacturer, but whatever it is it does not dissolve in solution, at least not in the short term. I have noticed this in my tanks as well, it gets sucked out during water changes.

Another thing that I noticed was over several days the SeptoBac container got a film on the surface, like pond scum. See below ...

1577576700830.png

now the Bio-Clean after 10 days (no surface scum)

1577576853500.png

The biggest thing that I noticed, is that after 10 days the container treated with Bio-Clean was overall broken down into almost fine dust, and with no bran, "black specks" of whatever, and food break down, compared to the SeptoBac container. There were still "chunks" in both jars, but the Bio-Clean residual at the end of the 10 days was a LOT less than the SeptoBac container. It would have been an even better comparison to a closed system such as an aquarium, if I could have had air lines running in each container, but at the end of the day there is no doubt in my mind that the Bio-Clean was a cleaner way to go, and the digestion of the food seemed superior. It's far more soluble when compared to SeptoBac, and no doubt the same holds true for Rid-X from what I have read over the years. It sounds like Rid-X also contains a fair bit of bran etc as a medium.

Within 24 hrs of adding the fish food pellets, both containers that contained bacteria, had pellets that had now turned into crumble. The container with only water, the pellets all still retained their original shape. From what I have seen thus far it will be interesting to see how clean my filter media is with the Bio-Clean, vs what I have seen over the years using SeptoBac. The real test will be how small of a weekly dose I can use in the future as a maintenance dose in my tanks. I suspect as little as 1/4 teaspoon a week (or less!) of Bio-Clean per 125 gallons of tank will do the trick.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Great info and advice Neil, Thx for sharing and look fwd to more updates, sounds like that Bio-Clean is some good stuff but like just about anything we add to our tanks has to be used with caution and good sense.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not sure if anyone is actually still following this topic lol, but below are the results after 10 weeks of running one of my tanks since the last time the filter media was cleaned. The first pic is after cleaning, and with 2 new layers of Marineland bonded filter media (blue/white), the second pic shows the filter after 10 weeks of run time, adding 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean bacteria each week. (125 gallon tank, with three AC 110's for filtration)

1581805617675.png

1581805696093.png

There was still really good flow, so plenty of 02 available to the bacteria, but I wouldn't have wanted to push these filters more than a couple of more weeks. Overall I'm very pleased with the results of the Bio-Clean bacteria and I will continue to use it from here on in. It buys me an additional month or more between cleaning, it outcompetes problem algae, cyanobacteria, and pathogenic bacteria, and unlike the other septic products that I have tried and/or read about over the years, Bio-Clean is really clean when adding it to ones tank. It's a win-win for me.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Did you just splash-aerate or did you use air stones too?
If you are referring to the glass jars ….

It would have been an even better comparison to a closed system such as an aquarium, if I could have had air lines running in each container, but at the end of the day there is no doubt in my mind that the Bio-Clean was a cleaner way to go, and the digestion of the food seemed superior.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I don't use air stones in my tanks, no need with three AC 500's moving water.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So I started using septo-bac after reading this and didn’t really notice much difference. Then I didn’t use it for a few months and that’s when I noticed the accumulated ray poop. That wasn’t an issue when I was previously using it.

now that I have started back up using it I have noticed the breakdown much better. I will need to look into bio clean. Where do you find this product Neil?

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bio-Clean can be purchased on Amazon. It seems expensive, but it's really rather cheap when you consider how little one needs to use.

Reactions: Matteus

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
RD thanks for the updates.

I noticed from the pics that I've been setting up my AC110 wrong. I had the blue pads on top. Just did a water change and arranged the media like you have it.

I plan on trying Bio-clean but I still have about 20% of my box if Rid-x left. The filler definitely does not degrade. I've just been either putting it under the filter pads in my small tanks or in the 125g, I put it in these old whisper Bio-bags I have left over from before I missed my filters to use sponges or bio.media rather than throw away cartridges. A week later, the filler is still contained in the bio bags.

What is the dosage for Rid-x that is recommended now? I saw that chart but if I'm am reading it correctly , that's for the more concentrated Bio-clean.

I've been using 1 tbsp per 25g which sounds like it may be too much based?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store