The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've never used Rid-X, but I would think that like most of these septic type products you don't need much, and 1tbsp per 25 gallons seems like far too much. I am only using 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean, per 125 gallon tank, per week.

Reactions: zimmy and Matteus

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I've never used Rid-X, but I would think that like most of these septic type products you don't need much, and 1tbsp per 25 gallons seems like far too much. I am only using 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean, per 125 gallon tank, per week.
Okay. I remember when I first read this entire thread that there were two different doses given for Rid-x. I think I went with higher one do I'll reduce it next time I dose.

As for Bio-clean, I got the impression that it was more concentrated than Rid-x it similar. I don't think you explicitly said do but I guess I interpreted that from it seeming to have less filler (ie that stuff in Rid-x that doesn't break down).

In any case, 5 tablespoons does seem too much because even if it were less concentrated because of the filler, I'm using way more than your dosage of Bio-clean.

I did notice that half a tablespoon in my 10g would sometimes cause the water to get cloudy which probably should have been a clue that I was using too much

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I need to look into local products, I'm working at a place where the lily pond is absolutely chock full of organic debris. I think some probiotic would help there!

Reactions: Matteus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hendre Hendre - I suspect that you will be able to find products designed specifically for organic build up in ponds, in SA, but they won't be nearly as cheap as septic products.

Reactions: Matteus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hendre Hendre - I suspect that you will be able to find products designed specifically for organic build up in ponds, in SA, but they won't be nearly as cheap as septic products.
Yeah septic products would be first choice. They don't have to be fish safe because we're looking to get rid of the mosquito fish anyway. But I'm assuming most powders would be fine either way?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would ensure that the label says something along the lines of 100% organic. Some have cleaning surfactants, chemical odor removers, etc.

Reactions: Hendre

Bad-Daddio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2005
Granite Falls, WA, USA
RD. RD. - Thank you for highlighting and testing Bio-Clean. I have been using Rid-X for a couple years now and I've been very happy with it , but there is a ton of bran and I've been looking for something "cleaner". I'm going to give the Bio-Clean a try.

Reactions: RD.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I'm not sure if anyone is actually still following this topic lol, but below are the results after 10 weeks of running one of my tanks since the last time the filter media was cleaned. The first pic is after cleaning, and with 2 new layers of Marineland bonded filter media (blue/white), the second pic shows the filter after 10 weeks of run time, adding 1/4 teaspoon of Bio-Clean bacteria each week. (125 gallon tank, with three AC 110's for filtration)

View attachment 1405541

View attachment 1405542

There was still really good flow, so plenty of 02 available to the bacteria, but I wouldn't have wanted to push these filters more than a couple of more weeks. Overall I'm very pleased with the results of the Bio-Clean bacteria and I will continue to use it from here on in. It buys me an additional month or more between cleaning, it outcompetes problem algae, cyanobacteria, and pathogenic bacteria, and unlike the other septic products that I have tried and/or read about over the years, Bio-Clean is really clean when adding it to ones tank. It's a win-win for me.
It would be good for 1st timers to see what those same filters look like without using Bio-clean for the same amount of time or x amount of weeks.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
This question is dope, but...
what about tossing a few probiotic caps into the filtration and letting them dissolve? Anyone ever try this?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It would be good for 1st timers to see what those same filters look like without using Bio-clean for the same amount of time or x amount of weeks.
Yes, I'm sure that it would. It would have also helped back in 2013 if I had taken some before and after photos of a cyanbacteria outbreak in one of my tanks, and more dramatically (with before/after photos) demonstrated how these septic bacteria resolved that, but I didn't do that, either. lol

When I started this topic back in 2013 it was partially as a personal experiment, and partially in the hopes of educating fellow members on a subject that could assist them and their tanks. I posted my personal results, nothing overly scientific, as did others. Back then I never even thought of documenting everything with photos. I was really just attempting to share something that I found that worked well for me, and there is clearly plenty of science to support those results.

At this stage of the game I am quite confident as to what these bacteria can do for a closed system such as an aquarium, and I have no plans of going in reverse. ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store