The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Picked up of tub of Bio-Clean to replace the Rid-X as it should be cleaner by not having the bran coating.

I never thought about this before, but do you guys keep the tub in the freezer or anywhere special or is the product stable being in the tub in a stand at room temp?

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Picked up of tub of Bio-Clean to replace the Rid-X as it should be cleaner by not having the bran coating.

I never thought about this before, but do you guys keep the tub in the freezer or anywhere special or is the product stable being in the tub in a stand at room temp?
I keep it at room temperature. I'd be afraid of putting it in freezer and possibly killing the bacteria

Reactions: FIU Panther

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Given that the bacteria would be in spore form I assume it would be inconsequential to freeze it, but room temp is probably safer. Dormant bacteria are tough buggers.

Reactions: FIU Panther

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
when using bioclean what is the best way to dose? I have a 300 gallon freshwater with a trickle filter sump. Would it be best to pour some of the mixture into the tank, overflows and over sump drip tray?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
when using bioclean what is the best way to dose? I have a 300 gallon freshwater with a trickle filter sump. Would it be best to pour some of the mixture into the tank, overflows and over sump drip tray?
All of the above. If there is a chunky mess pour that in a place that it will get caught like in the filter floss etc.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I don't know what will happen if I put Bio-clean in my brackish system. It seems the bacteria could die off quickly in the salt.

But that's the system where I'd most like to change less water, filters, etc.

Is this being done anywhere?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't know what will happen if I put Bio-clean in my brackish system. It seems the bacteria could die off quickly in the salt.

But that's the system where I'd most like to change less water, filters, etc.

Is this being done anywhere?
Are you using a protein skimmer on the brackish system?
This could help cut down on water changes, by perhaps 50% if the skimmer is strong enough.

Reactions: Ulu and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store