The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Thanks for the input! I also plan on doing a sand bottom, do you think this adds any effect to the filter setup?
Sponge filters are ideal for sand substrate. Sand is rough on hang-on-backs and impeller driven power heads. Not so much on canister filters because the impeller is on the clean water return side. Goldfish will sift through the sand and keep it pretty free of any uneaten food bits. They'll spit it everywhere, so you'll likely squeeze some sand out everytime you squeeze out your sponge filters.

alysha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I have a question about stacking sponges. If I have one fine sponge and one coarse one would it make a difference which one is on top or bottom? Does stacking sponges reduce overall flow since you're creating another level of intake or does it create more flow?

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I have a question about stacking sponges. If I have one fine sponge and one coarse one would it make a difference which one is on top or bottom? Does stacking sponges reduce overall flow since you're creating another level of intake or does it create more flow?
If you are referring to matten sponges, you want the heavy stuff to be trapped first, then after that sponge you want to trap the finer stuff. I will decrease the flow and increase the time between cleanings. I haven't tried this yet but I may soon because I have a ton on plecos in the 265 and it gets messy fast with all the wood they chew up, right now the wood mostly goes right thru the sponges, the bigger parts get caught but the smaller pieces just get recirculated back into the tank.

alysha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Question for those who use sponge filters. Do you take them out of the tank when doing water changes? Im specifically wondering about doing water changes with a python and the possibility of chloramines coming into contact with the BB before the prime is able to make it safe.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The sponge filters stay in the tank during water changes. If air operated, leave them running; if using a powerhead, unplug it first.

Add the Prime just prior to the water addition. If using the Python device, add enough for the tank volume and not the percentage of water changed.

Isaac'sTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
I have two xy-2822 sponge filters, if you Google you can find them easily and another two that look just like them and is rated for 55g, I would like to make my tank 100% sponge filtered with weekly 50% waterchanges. Would it work out OK to have two running on the tank for a heavily planted tank? The tank is 55g

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Thinking about using sponge filters instead of air stones might as well get some filtration out of the deal lol. Do they need beefed up air pumps?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Do they need beefed up air pumps?
hello; No beefed up air pump In my experience.

On another point - the airstones common with new sponge filters. Several decades ago I found that the airstones in my sponge filters were getting either getting clogged up over many months or would go from a mass of fine bubbles to more coarse bubbles.
I think the clogging was from dust in the air moving thru the air pump and eventually into the stone. This can be dealt with in a couple of ways but it took me a few decades to get around to that.

The coarse bubbles may be due to erosion in the stones allowing the air to find the paths of easy resistance. Some of the stones would eventually crumble apart. This gets me to the point I am going for. As I was far from a fish shop so that replacements were not always at hand I had reason to come up with a solution when a stone came apart and I did not have a replacement handy.
I simply stuck the air tube in place with no stone on the end. It made very large bubbles and I discovered these large bubbles moved water up quite well. Since that time I no longer use air stones, only the open end of tubing.

Reactions: lp85253 and Pond9

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Ok I pulled the trigger on a sponge filter it's a dual one with a pipe that comes off top on middle it is rated for a 20 gallon tank it's in a 75 gallon African tank. It says to keep the pipe just under water surface for maximum effectiveness but I would have to mount it half way up the tank so I just have it at the bottom and it seems to be working fine is that ok? I have two aqua clear 110 on the tank I just got this one to replace the air stone figured it would help a little and anything it does is more than the air stone lol. I figured when I need a hospital tank it will come in handy for a instant cycle to. I'm thinking about putting them in all my tanks instead of air stones any recommendations on brands and sizes for 75 gallon and 90 gallons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store