The World's Toughest Angelfish

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not typically one to share fish stories, but this one is pretty out there. A buddy of mine has a couple Asian aro tanks, and when visiting this past weekend I noticed that one of Ryan's tanks had a male gold marble angelfish. (shown below)

angel1.jpg

Apparently this angel came from his cousin, and seeing as it was a bully to Ryan's discus, it ended up in the tank shown below.

aro3.jpg

That ray is 12-13" in diameter, so while the gold xback is a juvie, he's still well over a foot long.

So while sitting and watching this tank, wondering how long it will be before the aro devours the angelfish, the angelfish takes a run at the aro, and takes a shot at him. WTF! I can't believe what I just saw. Not a sneak attack from behind, but a full on head on snap in your face attack.
This is the business end of that aro.

aro4.jpg

So my friend decided that he might be better off in one of my tanks, and I brought him home. He's now the new king of a 125 gallon, that contains a mixed bag of assorted fish. An adult leucistic male convict, and adult male firemouth, an adult male G. steindachneri, and five 3-5" oddball clown loaches. I never thought that I'd see an angelfish punk a convict, but compared to an Asian aro that seems like child's play.

angel2.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
HAHA- thats great.. I had a big male marble angle that lived in my 500 with lots of more aggressive stuff similar to your friends set up..while he wasnt the king in there he didnt take anything from anyone. great story enjoy him

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You should name him Conor......as in Conor McGregor

Reactions: Frank Castle

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
love Angels, I still miss my old female that would bite my arm at waterchange; they are imo one of the more personable cichlids out there

Reactions: brown_snake

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks, after seeing some of the stunning koi angels being bred in the US now I may have to consider setting up an angel tank in the future.

BTW - for anyone that knows their domestic angels, do all gold marbles have scales like this, or does this male appear to carry the pearlscale gene?

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Cool story. It's interesting how each species has so much variation in personality type/aggression. I had a 6" clown loach that was hostile just like your angel. I had to get rid of him (he now lives with some real bruisers- Buttikoferi, RD and other big cichlids)

Not sure on the pearlscale gene, but it sounds like he's got a little Mike Tyson in him.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store