This is about Martinboys Piebald Zonatus

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Dont mean to get this started again, but that sure looks like a Fenestratus Catamaco.
I would agree with that. Maybe I missed something in the last several pages....but if this being called a Piebald zonatus...where its te orange in the head and operculum coming from?

Confirmed by who?

MartinBoy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Las Vegas
I would agree with that. Maybe I missed something in the last several pages....but if this being called a Piebald zonatus...where its te orange in the head and operculum coming from?

Confirmed by who?
By breeder

Im learning as i go bur ya my other zonatus have no orange but there not piebald either.

I guess he will remain the mystery fish!!??

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not sure why my previous post was deleted, but allow me to rephrase it and be more specific.

Your fish is a hybrid.

The fish that this breeder is going to be breeding & selling are also all going to be hybrids, and from his track record apparently selling hybrid CA cichlids doesn't seem to bother him.

These fish clearly have something in their genes besides Paratheraps zonatus, and from your recent pics those genes appear to be from Lake Catemaco fenestratus. These fish may have been sold as "pure" wild caught P. zonatum, but other than to those who now own them it's rather obvious that they are anything but.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Im learning as i go bur ya my other zonatus have no orange but there not piebald either.
You won't see the color orange in the head/gill-cover region on a pure zonatus, because that's not a color that will naturally express itself in a pure zonatus. Nor would it magically appear on piebald zonatus offspring, if the parents were pure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store