Thorichthys Meeki, Thorichthys Maculipinnis & Hypsophrys Nicaraguensis progression thread

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, I thought I’d give you an update on the nitrate situation and show you some progress so far.

So, I went ahead and bought the salifert nitrate test and tested my tank water a couple of days after the last w/c which read 15-20ppm, I compared this to the API test which showed 30+ppm. I also tested my tap water on the Salifert and it showed around 15ppm.

Yesterday I tested the tank, 6 days after the last water change and it was showing 25ppm. I completed a 50% w/c today and the parameters were as followed:

Temperature - 25.9°C

Nitrate - 5-10ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

PH - 7.5

so hopefully this means I have the nitrates under control now and the tank water certainly looks very clear and the fish seem healthy and are growing and starting to show some color.

View attachment 1461286

View attachment 1461287

View attachment 1461288

View attachment 1461289
That's great to hear that.

MarvGT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks since my last update and all is going well in this tank. I cleaned the other FX6 filter last week and tested the next day and my parameters were as follows:

Temp 26.0

Nitrate- 3-5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Ammonia - 0ppm

PH - 7.6

I am pleased to get the nitrates down so low so thank you to all of you that commented, much appreciated. My filter cleaning regime will be to clean each filter once every two months but staggered, so effectively cleaning one of the two filters every month. I’ll keep testing as the group grow to ensure I am managing those nitrate levels effectively. I am definitely in finding the Sallifert test easier to get a clear indication of ppm and the low level scale is really useful.

I haven’t really talked much about the actual fish yet aside from posting the photos and videos. They are really confident and will always come to the front of the tank when I am there, they also take food out of my hand. Generally they are all getting on well, I have seen no evidence of any aggression between the different species but conspecific aggression is obvious particularly after feeding. The Thorichthys Meeki regularly posture to one another and occasionally lock lips .Due to them all looking quite similar at this stage it is hard to differentiate between them to see if there are more dominant ones in the group or which are male or female but despite the occasional aggression none of the Meeki have any damage or appear stressed.

The Hypsophrys Nicaraguensis are coming along well, no bright colours are developing yet but this was normal with the last two females I kept who didn’t show their gold and blue color until 2.5-3 inches. No idea on sex but I do have one who is larger then all the others so I’m guessing could be a male, we shall see. Great personality fish, very interesting to watch and not much aggression other than the flaring of gills amongst themselves. Still very small though.

The group of Thorichthys Maculipinnis are probably showing the most progress particularly the two dominant fish. I had what looked like two dominant males and a dominant female. I think I have 2 females due to them displaying a black spot on the dorsal fin and believe the rest are male however one I am not sure on. The female would keep to one side of the tank and the two males would squabble over the rest and I never really saw them interact with any of the females aside from a bit of chasing here and there after food.

Since I completed the filter clean and a big water change approx 60%, the largest male and the largest female have been spending much more time together and have been showing signs of a pair bond. No real breeding signs yet as they are still immature but a definite change in behaviour and their colors are really starting to develop. Here is a photo of the two of them together and I’ll post a video as well. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again

2046A0D8-BA98-47CC-AF73-54E6CD4CE958.jpeg

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
They are looking great! That’s typical thorichthys behavior. They’ll fight for dominance from time to time. When they pair in nature, they break from the group. The only real aggression is spawning. My male beat his mate pretty badly because of unsuccessful spawns. Had to separate them, but now back together doing fine, but no spawns. I really hope I have a male t. Pasionis because I lost my last pair to a h. Deppi. But pasionis aggression is not bad as meeki, even when spawning. I also have t. Mixteco “blue” or whatever they are now. The 3 species get along nicely and no hybridization.

5918D08E-C159-41D9-9A74-8D9477C6ACC1.jpeg

2F23D5B1-1E76-430E-8F08-C8175293E003.jpeg

51FF9349-2FB4-4405-8661-25E4FB4B50D1.jpeg

9B46309E-64EB-4B9E-A548-268D5FCFD15F.jpeg

E6A99DB3-CEB9-4926-96C4-D304C03FB739.jpeg

65E5148E-A668-4524-A145-D7D9B8A49B32.jpeg

9E8A23B3-8084-45A4-900B-16D965DD0BDE.jpeg

13A3BA7B-C1A5-491F-AEDB-464DA780BB1D.jpeg

CD9B2CE6-4BF2-4CF2-B563-DFF3F28755D0.jpeg

E12D6C29-BBDD-4864-AC78-4A0095D22896.jpeg

Reactions: MarvGT and gaisller

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
They are looking great! That’s typical thorichthys behavior. They’ll fight for dominance from time to time. When they pair in nature, they break from the group. The only real aggression is spawning. My male beat his mate pretty badly because of unsuccessful spawns. Had to separate them, but now back together doing fine, but no spawns. I really hope I have a male t. Pasionis because I lost my last pair to a h. Deppi. But pasionis aggression is not bad as meeki, even when spawning. I also have t. Mixteco “blue” or whatever they are now. The 3 species get along nicely and no hybridization.

View attachment 1463381

View attachment 1463382

View attachment 1463383

View attachment 1463384

View attachment 1463385

View attachment 1463386

View attachment 1463387

View attachment 1463388

View attachment 1463389

View attachment 1463390
did u get them from imperial tropicals?

MarvGT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
United Kingdom
So there has been a bit of activity in the Thorichthy/Nicaraguensis tank. The Maculipinnis pair I posted a photo of started spawning a couple of hours after a water change. I have managed to catch a bit of the female laying and male fertilizing the eggs on camera but I apologize now as you cannot actually see the eggs and the filming is a bit dodgy due to the difficult position in the tank.

The next day I took another video so you can see the pair defending their territory against the other tank mates. The female has been pretty devoted and has stuck close by and only ventures out to get food or chase away one of the others. The male seems to roam around the other areas of the tank before remembering his responsibilities and chasing a few fish randomly then occasionally returning to the female. I’d say his aggression has decreased since this video was taken but no damage or issues have been caused to the other tank mates although the Meeki’s colour have gone very pale, which I am guessing is pretty normal.

Majority of the eggs that I can see look like they were fertilized successfully so I am hoping it won’t be long before I see wrigglers. I had no real plans to breed any of this group but I knew it would likely happen so I can move fry if required but I am just going to see how it goes and leave them to it for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store