Thoughts On Petsmart Minimum Tank Size Change

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Hi, my LFSs are a Petsmart and a Petco. The Petco had no tank size labels in front of its fish, but the Petsmart did. I Remember when I first walked in their and it said Oscar minimum tank size 40 Gallons, and I thought oooof.
Bala Shark was 40 as well, Anglefish 20, Common Pleco 55, and Koi 75. I walked in to the same Petsmart for the first time in a while and I saw they had changed the minimum tank sizes. I was surprised but happy. It now said Bala Shark 125 Gallon, Oscar 125, Common Pleco 125, Koi 240, and Anglefish 55. I thought some were a little high, but they were all good. I was wondering if they changed the tank sizes at your local Petsmart’s as well or not, and what are your thoughts on the tank size change overall, and for those 5 bigger fish? Thanks in advance.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Honestly, I haven’t even looked much recently. That’s great that those are finally being updated, it’s nice to know that the people in charge actually are aware of how wrong their info is.
All of those actually reflect the needs of the fish for a change. I’m sure it won’t stop people from putting a real “shark” in their 20 gallon, but I can hope…

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, my LFSs are a Petsmart and a Petco. The Petco had no tank size labels in front of its fish, but the Petsmart did. I Remember when I first walked in their and it said Oscar minimum tank size 40 Gallons, and I thought oooof.
Bala Shark was 40 as well, Anglefish 20, Common Pleco 55, and Koi 75. I walked in to the same Petsmart for the first time in a while and I saw they had changed the minimum tank sizes. I was surprised but happy. It now said Bala Shark 125 Gallon, Oscar 125, Common Pleco 125, Koi 240, and Anglefish 55. I thought some were a little high, but they were all good. I was wondering if they changed the tank sizes at your local Petsmart’s as well or not, and what are your thoughts on the tank size change overall, and for those 5 bigger fish? Thanks in advance.
That's good somebody in corporate that cares for the health of the fish.

Reactions: Deadeye

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Honestly, I haven’t even looked much recently. That’s great that those are finally being updated, it’s nice to know that the people in charge actually are aware of how wrong their info is.
All of those actually reflect the needs of the fish for a change. I’m sure it won’t stop people from putting a real “shark” in their 20 gallon, but I can hope…
Yeah, but unlike at Petco at Petsmart they usually ask your tank size and what other fish are in there. Sure some will just like and some employees won’t care, but most will and most people that want a Oscar for their 40 are inexperienced and when asked will they say they have a 40, cause they think it’s huge. Once, they are told by the employee it is to small they may try to lie it’s bigger, but a smart employee should see right through that lie.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
J
Yeah, but unlike at Petco at Petsmart they usually ask your tank size and what other fish are in there. Sure some will just like and some employees won’t care, but most will and most people that want a Oscar for their 40 are inexperienced and when asked will they say they have a 40, cause they think it’s huge. Once, they are told by the employee it is to small they may try to lie it’s bigger, but a smart employee should see right through that lie.
Key word is should. Unfortunately you get a lot of people working who’s knowledge of the fish in question is limited to the cards on the tanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
It’s no just the big box stores you get dodgy info. At various independent LFS I have been recommended for a 40 G an Oscar, a red devil as “they are lazy” and a red terror as “it just one fish”
The big box stores aren’t great but they shouldn’t be singled out as the only places that offer poor advice. All retail stores here are struggling get staff so there are lots of inexperienced people working in the hobby these days al over the place,

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There's occasionally poor advice given out on here regarding tank size!!! And we're meant to be the elite!

So it's no surprise that poor advice is regularly given out at stores who employ young inexperienced staff who don't know their a**e from their elbow, and who are paid minimum wage.

It's just one of them things. I still give the manager of my local LFS the evil eye once in a while after he sold me some "harmless" catsharks a few years ago, which would, if i hadn't of took them back, eaten everything in my com tank.

He remembers me too!! He often disappears in the back when I go in, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store