Thrashing Oscar?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Sometimes night feeders (cats,plecos etc) will startle a sleeping fish, what else and size do you have in the tank with the "o"?

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
you can try moon lights, then at least he will be able to see where he is going and what is around him. I agree with mr.pleco, it is most likely some other fish that is spooking him.

albyoscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2006
The home of the CHIEEEFS
I thought mine was the only one that did that. Sometimes out of nowhere mine goes crazy too hitting all the tank walls then sits there stunned i think :screwy:

2004exrider

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Ohio
Mr Pleco;1417445; said:
Sometimes night feeders (cats,plecos etc) will startle a sleeping fish, what else and size do you have in the tank with the "o"?
Ahh! Good point, my pictus catfish is probably scaring the crap out of him. I have to always keep a bottle of melafix around because he's always scraping himself up. I have a night light by my aquarium but it might not be bright enough, i'll try and find some dim blue lights to instal for at night.

Jimmy

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
That happens to me when my delhezi is feeding at night and spooks the bala sharks. I've pretty much gotten used to big splashes and loud noises at night.

2004exrider

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Ohio
Delhezi222;1417876; said:
That happens to me when my delhezi is feeding at night and spooks the bala sharks. I've pretty much gotten used to big splashes and loud noises at night.
^haha, my aquarium acts like its possessed by the devil:nilly:. The lids start flying open and closed and water is spraying all over the room lol. My walls and couch get soaked!

Jimmy

Cinic

Feeder Fish
I've got a Tiger Oscar, about 8 months. He's always been a beast of a fish, but recently he began thrashing without provocation. As exrider said, i've got to keep a bottle of melafix just to treat his head wounds.

My assumption is that he's outgrown his tank although there's ample room from my perspective. I'm upgrading to my first non-tiny tank to accommodate him. I think most MFKrs would consider it a medium-small tank.

Hopefully this does the trick.

What is a recommended depth for oscars (/fish in.)? Is it recommended to keep the tank 10%> under filled to prevent the "demonic" effect?

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
yeah my guess is tank space mine started doing this in the 55 after i put a divider in to keep the 2 O's seperate (i know i know 2 o's in a 55 is horrible, even 1 is bad, but no worries it is very, very temperary, the will be moving to the 135 soon and the fish in the 135 to the 540 (or the 8 by 3 by 2 i build))

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
hmm i dont know. i had a 9 inch male Venustus that would ALWAYS patrol the front of the tank --back and forth real fast before the timer on the lights went out.. without fail he did it every nite. i figured he was exercising..

i moved him from a 90 gallon to a 180 and he did the same thing.. i never figured it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store