Thrashing Oscar?

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
Some oscars are some very spooky specimens. Mine did the same thing, just out of no where you would hear splasing and then them banging on the lids. I even had lunar lights on the tank and they would still freak out. They would even freak out if I would get up and turn the lights on. They will eventually settle down, but it is nerve racking until they do.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
My Pacu does this sometimes, although she also does it during the day. There's an Ompok catfish in there with her... but I don't think that's it.

Some fish are just weird.

Cichlid Lover79

Feeder Fish
Jan 25, 2022
My 6 inch Red Oscar does the same thing. I've had him since he was 1 inch long, along with 2 Tiger Oscar's the same size; purchased at the same time. My Red Oscar has been having night terrors almost every night since I brought him home. I originally had 4 Oscars two Red and two Tiger. One of the Reds died after 2 months. They are currently in a aggressive community grow out 55 gal. I have had and have all kinds of big aggressive cichlids in several tanks. But this 1 little Red Oscar has been having at least one crazy nightmare all most every single night. It is the weirdest thing, no other fish that I have had has ever done anything like this. I've been taking care of freshwater fish since age 5; I'm 42 and have never seen a fish have a possessed nightmare every single night. Unfortunately, I will be selling him before he destroys my aquarium. I will definitely tell my local fish store or who ever buy's him about this as a full disclaimer. He's such a beautiful Red Oscar, full of all kinds of personality. He may get euthanized in the end though, because he'll need a huge forever home. Bigger then my 6ft 125gal, because the bigger he gets the more dangerous those night terrors are going to become. I have two Tiger Oscar's 10 inches+, plus several other aggressive cichlids the same size in two 125gal aquariums. He would scare the bejesus out of all of them at night if I put him in 1 of those tanks!!!

joeytan

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2023
Anyone else have a fish that will just freak out from nowhere and start flying around the tank at night?! Once in a while my oscar will do that and ill see his lids start flying open and hear banging then he just stops and sits there:screwy:. Anything i can do to prevent this???

Jimmy
Mine just did this tonight I been awake for an hour with him he knocked him self out he went crazy I woke up and he was floating for a minute or so

joeytan

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2023
Anyone else have a fish that will just freak out from nowhere and start flying around the tank at night?! Once in a while my oscar will do that and ill see his lids start flying open and hear banging then he just stops and sits there:screwy:. Anything i can do to prevent this???

Jimmy
So this is normal or no ?it scared the life outta me

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So this is normal or no ?it scared the life outta me
Welcome aboard

If something spooked the Oscar at night yes normal. Also if lights not set on a timer and you turn the light on unset times that will make fish thrash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store