Threshold for solid contact between a stand and the tank

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
If you put a coat of wax on the bottom of the tank it won't stick to the bedding compound and that will remain on the stand when you lift your tank.

If you use a styrofoam or elastomeric mat you will probably achieve full contact.

Yet that contact will not be equal as far as pressure on the tank goes.

You need to set it in something that will flow a little bit and then stiffen up, to get equal pressure everywhere.

Now depending on your stand and what your stand is standing on, that may not be the ideal situation from a structural standpoint; but I'm assuming that all things are nominal
I didn't know that. You learn something every day. You suggested using wood dough right?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Generically speaking. Any brand will work.

Some stuff is more fluid. It's easier to get level. You can thin it a little too.

You'll probably be sanding a little, but a good finish isn't important. Coarse paper will do. Just make it flat.

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
So this whole project kinda fell by the wayside. Some of my father's carpenter friends (who were into fishkeeping) were apparently willing to build a new stand for me for cheap, but that kind of fell through because things got busy for them. Right now I'm considering using a wall spreading jack to raise the sagging area of the stand, which I'd follow up with some extra support, then a layer of some wood dough to even out the stand top.

How does that sound?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store