Thunderdome Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
How many of you guys/gals would like a thunderdome/wild wild west section ? Something along the lines of allowing us to have an expanded list of acceptable topics.

A disclaimer can state : This area is not for the sensitive, if you cannot have an adult conversation, cannot deal with an opposing view or being disagreed with this section is not for you.
Probably never happen but would be pretty cool none the less
S skjl47

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
It can't go outside the MFK rules...so it would be like a normal thread/post.
No not this post. No way. We dont need any more drama. Hypothetical like if there was a separate section.

Goes back to something Skj and i were talking about

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh boy lol
Ugh now i get how this thread appears.

Disclaimer : NOT THIS POST, NOT THIS SECTION.

AREA SIMILAR TO THE VENDOR SECTION OR GENERAL AREA

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
True. Another place I go to on occasion for dart frogs lounge section is hid from the public then within the lounge there's a loosely moderated tdome that you type in a pw after you read the disclaimer. You can't threaten, bully, or anything really out of line.

It works pretty well keeping the main area clear of debris though. This is a totally diff place with a totally diff direction in mind

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
True. Another place I go to on occasion for dart frogs lounge section is hid from the public then within the lounge there's a loosely moderated tdome that you type in a pw after you read the disclaimer. You can't threaten, bully, or anything really out of line.

It works pretty well keeping the main area clear of debris though. This is a totally diff place with a totally diff direction in mind
Dang i should have put a poll in. Do you know how to add one after the thread is already started ?
Dude thats exactly what im thinking. Obvious rules like no foul language or explicit pics. Definitely no bully but man that sounds like fun

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

I didnt even consider how it could be used to clean up bs in other sections. Maybe if we get enough members interested this is something they would consider.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Seems clear to me things have tightened up lately. I get the stated explainations from a couple of Mods as to why. Also seems to me most of the regulars I have come to know in the last nine years have toned down the language a lot. Kind of a dramatic change in many ways. So my take is many of us who were offenders in the past have made an effort.
I give an example. Recently a member rejoined the forum after a long absence. That member posted a picture of a new style gun. Right away one of us, not a Mod, called it out explaining how we do not do that stuff anymore. Point being many of us are trying to play nicer.

This forum has a unique mix of personalities with a central focus being we all in some way keep fish in a box of water. Over time I have made enough interactions with some members to have a sort of relationship. There are some I like as a forum personality, some I admire and a few I dislike outright. I have no idea how they would be if we met in person but that is very unlikely. Even a couple of the ones I dislike often have worthwhile things to contribute about keeping fish.

Then we have a section of the site called the LOUNGE. Been in a variety of very interesting discussions there. I can hang in the old more raw manner or I can deal with the new standard and tone down my language. Either way is fine once I understand the way things work. There is evidence several of the other members who frequent the lounge can do the same. In fact I have been impressed by the general of some who were among the worst offenders in the past.

I guess it is time to get to the crux of the matter. That being the tactic of getting threads closed. Two most recently closed threads come to mind. I was a participant in both. Much of the content was done with a sense of humor and some light hearted banter.

I guess an old guy such as myself can not get his mind around some of the new social standards and while I simply do not like a few of them, I am willing to see those standards discussed. I do not plan to try to shut down a discussion because someone makes a statement I happen to disagree with. I plan to come back with my own point of view and figure my thoughts ought to be heard same as the other I do not agree with me.
I get that we need to have a civil discussion and to leave the vulgar behind and do try to do such.

I have some more to say but lets see how this goes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The mfk/lounge rules are in place and should dictate how a thread is started and the replies to any thread from members. Things have improved in a better way. New members are here and gotta learn to adjust.

I get everyone wants to say what they want and feel. No one wants to be limited by another person by any means. No one can determine intent or emotion behind our posts so it’ll lead to confusion and conflict. Even a sense of humor or lightnheaded banter can be misconstrued as in case of the closed threads.

The closing of threads isn’t the goal of any member on the forum. If one thing we all can agree on is that. The tone and replies of threads twist too quickly. From one thread to another with similar members involved.

I’ve dealt with fb. Still deal with it. Too many agendas. Not a fan but don’t hate it either. It works for me and my purpose. Have to adjust with it and the people on it. Especially the fish groups on there.

For me. Any topic or thread that doesn’t reflect mfk in a good light then it’s not in the interest of Mfk. Think it leaves a bad taste in members mouths and it carries to other social platforms. I cringe when i see threads on uarujoey or Taylor Nicole dean. Maybe we’d have more members on here but terrible threads about these keepers keep people out. Even if it was meant to be a constructive type of criticism it somehow goes another route. I personally believe we have better members and info that fb doesn’t match. Only difference is advice is given immediately and good advice can get buried in the numerous comments. Don’t think it’s that great. The last thing the forum needs is to have less traffic thru here.

Think it’s good idea for a separate area to play where the rules are lenient. Should be brought to the mods/admins for discussion if it’s an option.

I do remember being welcomed to the forum with some kind (sarcasm) words from gangster on a pbass ID. It made me feel terrible (made me want to quit mfk)but i learned from it. Also another member replied to me and made me feel better. Was even thankful for words of wisdom there after. Can’t expext it to be everyone’s response in 2019. My oh my...has time passed on me, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store