Tiger barbs as dithers for africans???

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Okay, I've been wondering to myself and asked which dither I should get. I said rainbowfish, but I have 2nd thoughts. They are too pricey and will command me a hefty price for a group. My lfs sells one inch tiger barbs for .99 cents. I can easily get a group of 6 tiger barbs vs getting 6 rainbowfish which will cost me $30-$40 depending on the lfs. How are tiger barbs when it comes to dithers for africans? Do they school, will they nip fins, will they bring out my fish, etc? Thanks. :headbang2

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Tiger barbs are a great dither fish. They dont seem very skittish, so yes they should bring out your other fish by making them think every thing is ok as the barbs are out swimming around. They are not as bad a fin nipper as most will say as long as there's a good size group of them. I would get at least 8 though. They will school, but more of a chaotic school at times.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
I guess I can try them out, you can't go wrong with .99 cents. Do you guys think that they will try to nip my cichlids? I'm pretty nervous about that, if so, I can get other types of tetras for dithers.

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
silver dollars?

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Naw, silver dollars get way too big for my tank, it's a 40 gallon. By the way, dithers are fish used to make a fish feel more comfortable in their surroundings, so that it will bring out your fish more.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
I've never had good luck with tiger barbs as dithers for anything... way too nippy. For 99 cents a piece I would just pick up a bunch and set up a huge schooling species tank. But I do weird things like that.

If you're planning on keeping the tank long term $50 either way shouldn't be the deciding factor. When price affects fish purchase, more often than not the end result is not good.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
i use yellow labs along with my lion head chiclids
and it works like a charm

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Tiger barbs may be nippy but they are unable to take the beating from African cichlids. The answer here is no.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Ok, for dithers, you guys think that the common rummy nose tetras can work? If not, I'll just switch back to getting dwarf neon rainbows for dithers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store