Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
I was going to attempt a plywood aquarium ten months ago, but chickened out. So instead,I built a 60 gallon wooden sump inside my 75 gallon aquarium stand. Baby steps, right? Project went well, still holding water.

Below is a description of my current discus tank system I built because I was afraid of the wooden aquarium idea, but for some reason was less afraid of drilling seven holes in my aquariums even though I have never drilled glass before.

R/o filter to the 75 gal reservoir in the garage from there I can add water to my 120 gal discus tank. I drilled the glass and put two over flow boxes. Each box feeds a 75 gal aquarium. The first then feeds a lower refusing that I built out of plexiglass under the 120 gal then back to the main tank, the second feeds the 60 gal wooden sump I mentioned above, then back to the main tank. The wooden sump also has an over flow that feeds my roses, etc.. out side. No draining the aquarium, just open the valve at the reservoir and the water just runs through the system. Each body of water has its own heater and up went my electrical bill.

Moving forward with no written plans, just ten months of thinking it through.

The Plan:

120” long x 31” wide x 30” tall. Width is limited by a door I have to use.

3/4 ish 96’ x 30” glass with 92”x28” viewing area maybe an inch or so larger. Not sure what the over lap should be.

Where do I get glass? any plate glass?

I will use 3/4 birch, doubled on the bottom, and maple 3/4 inch trim.

and lots of Pond armor.

no turning backnow!

Fun!

Tim

Reactions: axs377

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Best of luck.

Reactions: Santa Fe Discus

Santa Fe Discus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
View attachment 1225527
I was going to attempt a plywood aquarium ten months ago, but chickened out. So instead,I built a 60 gallon wooden sump inside my 75 gallon aquarium stand. Baby steps, right? Project went well, still holding water.

Below is a description of my current discus tank system I built because I was afraid of the wooden aquarium idea, but for some reason was less afraid of drilling seven holes in my aquariums even though I have never drilled glass before.

R/o filter to the 75 gal reservoir in the garage from there I can add water to my 120 gal discus tank. I drilled the glass and put two over flow boxes. Each box feeds a 75 gal aquarium. The first then feeds a lower refusing that I built out of plexiglass under the 120 gal then back to the main tank, the second feeds the 60 gal wooden sump I mentioned above, then back to the main tank. The wooden sump also has an over flow that feeds my roses, etc.. out side. No draining the aquarium, just open the valve at the reservoir and the water just runs through the system. Each body of water has its own heater and up went my electrical bill.

Moving forward with no written plans, just ten months of thinking it through.

The Plan:

120” long x 31” wide x 30” tall. Width is limited by a door I have to use.

3/4 ish 96’ x 30” glass with 92”x28” viewing area maybe an inch or so larger. Not sure what the over lap should be.

Where do I get glass? any plate glass?

I will use 3/4 birch, doubled on the bottom, and maple 3/4 inch trim.

and lots of Pond armor.

no turning backnow!

Fun!

Tim
First things first. The stand. I decided to build modular, two five foot sections bolted together.

I used 30 92" studs.

IMG_0905.JPG

Reactions: axs377
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store