Tiny discovery that is definately worth sharing.

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
Really nice to see so many people utilizing plants in there systems. I think it is the other half if the bio-filter. Plants are the completion of the nitrogen cycle. I have used plants in many setups and now have been using algae. Algaes are the fastest growing plants on earth and do a fantastic job of filtering the water. I highly recommend algae filters.

I am also getting into aquaponics. In fact, I just built a 200g tank (it is in the tank build section) that is going to be a tilapia tank and it will be part of an aquaponic system. I am going to grow veggies and fish to eat. I just put the tank in its place last week and plan on working on the plumbing this weekend.

As a side note: tomato plants generally suck allot of nutrients from there soil. I would imagine they would be good at sucking nutrients from the tank water as well. They are also grown allot by hydroponics and seem to do well in that environment and might be a good and readily available plant to experiment with.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
A fellow in our local reef club up here has a tank going with a few tilapia and a small "garden" growing over it. Water is pumped from the tank up to a container over the tank that holds some type of substrate (ceramic balls or something similar used in aquaponics) in which he is growing tomatoes and another veggie. Plans to eat the veggies and fish when they get big enough.

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
Exactly, cheap and healthy food. What is really nice is that the systems are pretty compact and doing it inside (in the basement in my case) you can grow crops all year around. I am really exited about getting my system going.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Tor-Eriik;4809556; said:
Since i dont have sumps on my aqurium i would like to try something like this, would that be just as good? Im thinking of putting a smull pump like 200l\h in there.
like this?

overtop filter? :D

bacon2.JPG

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I have put some vines in some small tanks today, to see if they grow roots before i put them to the larger tanks. When should i see that something is happening? Im really looking forward for this, feel like a little child again.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
The vines should start to sprout roots in a week or so. Test nitrate now to get an idea of what it is at and test as the vines start to grow.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I will test when they have grown some roots, til then im gonna do my natural wc, 50% every 4 day.Il test before wc, after wc. I only have 1 vine pr tank at this moment, so i dont think they are going to do a big change. Like i said im gonna grow some roots now, and then put them all in one of my 180g`s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store