Tiny discovery that is definately worth sharing.

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
Why couldn't I have found this thread a year ago???

Anyways, I'm going to give this a shot. I've been battling high nitrates in my 75g since inception. One big cichlid (Flowerhorn) with weekly 50% water changes and I still can't get the nitrates below 20ppm.

I'm envisioning a decorative window planter on a shelf over the tank which the sump feeds into. Two overflows which feed back into the tank and as many Pothos suspended above the water as it takes.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
IrnGynt;4796487; said:
Why couldn't I have found this thread a year ago???

Anyways, I'm going to give this a shot. I've been battling high nitrates in my 75g since inception. One big cichlid (Flowerhorn) with weekly 50% water changes and I still can't get the nitrates below 20ppm.

I'm envisioning a decorative window planter on a shelf over the tank which the sump feeds into. Two overflows which feed back into the tank and as many Pothos suspended above the water as it takes.
Have you checked the water going in after the water change as it sounds like you have nitrate in the tap water. You can use a nitrogen or nitraghost on that if this is the case although you cannot run too high pressure through them and they need to be recharged every few hundred gallons.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I just threw a three-dollar thrift store aquaclear onto my 55g with a pothos clipping in it. Can't wait to see what happens.

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I have managed to score 4 nice pothos cuttings that were already rooted in a vase and have had them in 2 of my tanks since new years. If there is any difference in the nitrates I will post the results.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have just had a 5ft tall pothos growing on a moss tube delivered today, I am taking cuttings and putting them in water to get them rooting, then I am going to trial them on my tank along with an hma (heavy metal axe) which will run about 20 uk gallons a day of fresh water in to my tank.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Great revival, this one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store