Tiny discovery that is definately worth sharing.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
07/31/2010:

System still in continous operation. No overflows, blockages or failures. Plants are obsolutely packed tight. I am kinda nervous about removing them at all. I am not sure I can. :)

Right now with the way the sump is I am using one (1) 400W submersible heater only and holding at 81-81.8 degrees F. I am loving it. -FM

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for the supportive comments here in this topic. I have an update to my system that I wish to share.

I removed the plants from the sump (pump compartment) and placed them in a tray above the Wet-Dry filter. I also am experimenting with Spinach seeds. I moved the plants out of and above the sump due to the fact that they were taking up space that could best be utilized by more filter media (bio-balls). I filled the sump with bio-balls and piped a line up from the sump into a hydroponics tray. The tray is fed by a smaller "Quiet-One" pump. The tray gravity feeds back into the dirty side of the W/D onto the filter floss. This way any debris that accumulates within the plant roots can be filtered out just like the ray poop. The plants float upon a foam board. You will also notice additional bio-balls in the tray. I did this for additional filtration and to keep surface agitation down to a minimum to reduce evaporation. You may also notice a mesh bag loaded with Purigen in the tray. I figured "Why not?"

In conclusion:
My 90 gallon sump is now packed with 70 gallons of bio-balls and a recirculating hydroponic circuit located above it. The system is now a total of 548 circulating gallons. It is heated by (1) 400W submersible heater. Average temp is 80.9F. Occupants are 3 large Henlei, 1 Medium Flower, 1 Small Motoro, 2 Exodon.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

P8280427.JPG

P8280428.JPG

P8280430.JPG

P8280432.JPG

P8280431.JPG

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Looks nice. Are you doing any water changes? I'd keep an eye on that rubber duck too:)

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
I still stick to the 90 day plan for water changes. I have found a sweet-spot that my system likes. I change 50% of the total circulating volume every 90 days.

The plants and the Purigen really make the difference.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
I still don't have my water from the tap issues fixed (I have the filters just need to install them this weekend) so I haven't been testing the water. The plants are growing like crazy so they must be pulling something out of the water. I'm loving these plants, hoepfully soon I'll be able to contribute some water chemistry results to this thread. Long live the pothos thread!

July 15

Sept 1 - a different angle so hard to tell but the plant is twice the size.

This is from a clipping that was put in another tank, It only had 3-4 leaves on about 8" of vine, now the vine is 16-18" and new leaves sprouted under water. They are just starting to break the surface. 6 weeks ago that was just a stem in the water with no roots.

swervo513

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
Brooklyn Ny
Very cool setup with some awesome ideas. One question. Do you have problems with dead leaves clogging the intakes of overflows?

Also in reference to the person who said vital nutrients are taken out of the tank, I would like to say that I agree when it comes to household land plants. But if this idea holds true to aquatic plants as well than I feel that underwater plants can only be beneficial. Once you have a plant in the water for a long period of time the nutrients do indeed get absorbed into the plant but as the leaves die and decompose the nutrients become part of the water again. Energy is never really wasted. So, in reality you will never really lose the nutrients in your water due to aquatic plants. They will only absorb nitrates from the water.

I hope this doesnt sound to outlandish. Is this comprehendible?

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Absolutely comprehensible.

Any aquarium system (at least the ones referred to here) is never truly a closed system. Our systems are "open" systems in which nutrients constantly enter and exit. Nutrients enter through food and exit as dead leaves, water changes, dead fish, fish poop etc. If we had closed systems this would be a different story. The accumulation of decaying items would make a difference.

In our systems the water changes and feedings all influence the growth of our fish and plants. Good things in, good things out.

-FM

sea7ray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Liverpool
Just found this thread and i've been thinking about this for a while. I've had a look around the back of the Zoo aquarium in Chester (UK) and they use Umbrella (ella, ella, ella :0) plant in all their freshwater aquariums and have minimal nitrates. I believe its a type of Cypres plant but i know it captures nitrates direct from the water and they are emerse in nature

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
sea7ray;4449401; said:
Just found this thread and i've been thinking about this for a while. I've had a look around the back of the Zoo aquarium in Chester (UK) and they use Umbrella (ella, ella, ella :0) plant in all their freshwater aquariums and have minimal nitrates. I believe its a type of Cypres plant but i know it captures nitrates direct from the water and they are emerse in nature
ella, ella, ella LOL

The only prob with those are that they are so flippin tall.

I am about to have a go with water cress in the sump with a light above and just use a planting basket with hessian on top and some substrate. (My sump has a platform above the foam which normally runs about 1-2cm deep of water, I THINK the cress will grow in this)

I would like to try a Pothos but I do not think we call them that over in the UK, does anyone know what we call them?

I have toyed with the idea of having a new lid manufactured to allow a planted section on top as part of my seabray bracing covers (not the main coverglass) simply lifts out for maintenance and I could allow them to route through there. I think in the UK we might get a LOT of evaportation too though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store