Tire track size?

Nick12231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2017
So, I bought a tire track eel (pretty small atm) and I was wondering, how big does he get? I've heard so many different things like: "They only get a little over a foot" or "wont exceed a foot" , to even, "They grow 2 feet"
But people also say that there's multiple kinds referred to as a Tire track. The "true" tire track gets 2 feet and there are other smaller ones. Quite confused and hope I can get some help!

Thanks.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Mine went from 6" to about 14" in about a year, feeding earth and meal worms. i was prepared for him to get over two feet, and read he would.

Unfortunately, like so many before me, I was not careful enough with the lid. Make sure you have no holes at all anywhere and everything is secured.

FreshyNut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
New Jersey
I've had my TT Eel for about 6 months now. I recieved him at about 4-5" he is now around 14" and definitley not finished growing! I feed him every 2-3 days as many earthworms as he can eat (started out with 3 or 4 regular red worms cut up and now he eats around 5 canadian night crawlers per feeding). They can grow pretty fast so be ready, as he'll need space to stretch out, but they are a very rewarding fish to keep.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I've had my TT Eel for about 6 months now. I recieved him at about 4-5" he is now around 14" and definitley not finished growing! I feed him every 2-3 days as many earthworms as he can eat (started out with 3 or 4 regular red worms cut up and now he eats around 5 canadian night crawlers per feeding). They can grow pretty fast so be ready, as he'll need space to stretch out, but they are a very rewarding fish to keep.
Yeah, once you get them onto some good foods, and a variety if they'll go for it, they really start to take off.

I have fire eels but I pretty much categorize the fire eels and the tire track eels as being the same, except for their colors.

I got my fire eels at about 3-4" in Mar-Apr 2016. I had them in, what was supposed to be very temporary, 29 gallon tank while I continued to get my 220 up and running. They ate pretty much only bloodworms, but occasionally would take a few red wigglers. From when I got them until Jan 2017 they grew to about 10" each. Then, Jan-Feb this year, they got moved into the 220 and once they got to eating, they would pretty much eat anything but pellets. Since they've been in their larger tank they have grown from about 10" up to about 15" and seem to be pretty consistent with about an inch a month growth rate right now. If I wouldn't have kept them in the 29 gallon tank for about 6 months longer than I originally planned, they probably could have been on their way to 18-20" by now.

Nick12231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2017
Yeah, once you get them onto some good foods, and a variety if they'll go for it, they really start to take off.

I have fire eels but I pretty much categorize the fire eels and the tire track eels as being the same, except for their colors.

I got my fire eels at about 3-4" in Mar-Apr 2016. I had them in, what was supposed to be very temporary, 29 gallon tank while I continued to get my 220 up and running. They ate pretty much only bloodworms, but occasionally would take a few red wigglers. From when I got them until Jan 2017 they grew to about 10" each. Then, Jan-Feb this year, they got moved into the 220 and once they got to eating, they would pretty much eat anything but pellets. Since they've been in their larger tank they have grown from about 10" up to about 15" and seem to be pretty consistent with about an inch a month growth rate right now. If I wouldn't have kept them in the 29 gallon tank for about 6 months longer than I originally planned, they probably could have been on their way to 18-20" by now.
Thanks for the feedback. Any idea what to feed the little guy? I've been trying blood worms but it seems like he doesn't want it. He looks at it and then swims away. I've seem him eat it once but never again. I've also tried frozen krill but Im not really sure if hes been eating that either. Any suggestions on getting them to eat?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thanks for the feedback. Any idea what to feed the little guy? I've been trying blood worms but it seems like he doesn't want it. He looks at it and then swims away. I've seem him eat it once but never again. I've also tried frozen krill but Im not really sure if hes been eating that either. Any suggestions on getting them to eat?
I had that issue with the third fire eel I bought. My first two never left a single bloodworm uneaten. Then, after I got the two of them moved into my 220, I bought my third one when it was about 7". It wouldn't touch bloodworms. I ended up going to the store and getting an assortment of frozen bloodworms, frozen beef heart, frozen mysis shrimp, live red wigglers, live meal worms, live wax worms, frozen krill, and probably a few other things. I put them all into a cup of water to thaw them out and then dumped them in all at once. The little guy finally picked his way through and went for the red wigglers, but nothing else. After he finished eating all of the red wigglers I siphoned the rest of the stuff out and just fed him red wigglers until I moved him into my 220. Now, he still gets red wigglers, but he also eats a lot of the other frozen foods that my other two eat.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I had that issue with the third fire eel I bought. My first two never left a single bloodworm uneaten. Then, after I got the two of them moved into my 220, I bought my third one when it was about 7". It wouldn't touch bloodworms. I ended up going to the store and getting an assortment of frozen bloodworms, frozen beef heart, frozen mysis shrimp, live red wigglers, live meal worms, live wax worms, frozen krill, and probably a few other things. I put them all into a cup of water to thaw them out and then dumped them in all at once. The little guy finally picked his way through and went for the red wigglers, but nothing else. After he finished eating all of the red wigglers I siphoned the rest of the stuff out and just fed him red wigglers until I moved him into my 220. Now, he still gets red wigglers, but he also eats a lot of the other frozen foods that my other two eat.
+1

also how long have you had him? My fire eel loves bloodworms but will go on a hunger strike when something major changes like a big fish is added or moved tanks

Nick12231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2017
+1

also how long have you had him? My fire eel loves bloodworms but will go on a hunger strike when something major changes like a big fish is added or moved tanks
Only had him for a couple of days. Hes a juvenile atm and doesn't seem to be interested in any food I introduce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store