Todays catch

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
fishinjeeper said:
did i say anything about holding a fish by its jaw? nope, but there is something in there about supporting its belly. yes holding a fish by its jaw does put pressure on an little spot, when held horizontal withouth extra support, i never argued that, but holding a fish vertical is not any better for it. Here is a quote from Fl. Fish and Wildlife Research Instittute:

Refrain from holding fish in a vertical position when inspecting or photographing them. Internal organs are displaced and stress is increased in this unnatural position. Large fish should never be held by the bottom jaw only, with a boca grip or otherwise (any tool designed to grip the lower jaw of caught fish to facilitate handling). Hold the fish horizontally by the lower jaw with one hand, and support the belly with the other hand. If unsupported, many large fish, especially snook, will rupture the isthmus–a cartilaginous bundle of ligaments that connects the head and body--and the fish will die a slow death from starvation. This connection is necessary for the tremendous gulping action during feeding
Wow never knew that. I'll try to remember that when I fish next time.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
fishinjeeper said:
did i say anything about holding a fish by its jaw? nope, but there is something in there about supporting its belly. yes holding a fish by its jaw does put pressure on an little spot, when held horizontal withouth extra support, i never argued that, but holding a fish vertical is not any better for it. Here is a quote from Fl. Fish and Wildlife Research Instittute:

Refrain from holding fish in a vertical position when inspecting or photographing them. Internal organs are displaced and stress is increased in this unnatural position. Large fish should never be held by the bottom jaw only, with a boca grip or otherwise (any tool designed to grip the lower jaw of caught fish to facilitate handling). Hold the fish horizontally by the lower jaw with one hand, and support the belly with the other hand. If unsupported, many large fish, especially snook, will rupture the isthmus–a cartilaginous bundle of ligaments that connects the head and body--and the fish will die a slow death from starvation. This connection is necessary for the tremendous gulping action during feeding.
Werd.

Thats the guideline I follow when I hold snook. (or any other fish).

Hold their jaw while supporting their belly with your hand and holding them horizontal. Many more fish survive this way. Holding fish vertically puts a strain on their jaws making it hard for them to feed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store