Todays catch

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
nick said:
its not harmful, usually a big one will jsut yawn and the little ones simply spring to life and swim away

its supporting the fish rather then lifting them out by the back or tail
Umm, folding their jaws is not supporting them. It puts increased preasure on a small part with in the jawstructure. Holding them straight up and down is the correct method which does not do any damage to the fish.. but trying to hold them level with just their jaw is incorrect and is typically done by unknowledgable people.

kman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Toronto Canada
The TRUST said:
That's if u can remember that while ur screaming from the big cut u got from their razor sharp teeth.

fcuking right big cut

it happended once and it fcuking hurt

like a fcuking newbie idiot to pike, i didn't realize they had fcuking teeth on the upper part of their mouth behind the first roll of upper teeth

i can still remember that fcuker bite......it was fcuking over 25 yrs ago!!!!!!

....damn that fcuker pike!!!!!

fishinjeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Miami, FL
Peacock, actually your wrong. Holding a fish vertical is bad for it and many fishologists(made that one up) frown on it. Im too lazy to look the articles up right now but it is because it stretches the innards and can tear them because a fish is used to being horizontal in a buoyant environment. I used to do the same as wicked midas with all the peacocks and largemouth i caught but now i try to hold them horizontal by supporting them at the belly. So who is unknowledgeable?
Paul

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
fishinjeeper said:
Peacock, actually your wrong. Holding a fish vertical is bad for it and many fishologists(made that one up) frown on it. Im too lazy to look the articles up right now but it is because it stretches the innards and can tear them because a fish is used to being horizontal in a buoyant environment. I used to do the same as wicked midas with all the peacocks and largemouth i caught but now i try to hold them horizontal by supporting them at the belly. So who is unknowledgeable?
Paul

Incorrect.

And the term is Ichthyologist.

By holding the fish horizontal you are basically making a"lever" out of parts of its jaw and that causes alot more stress on the jaw system then holding the fish strait up. There is still stress holding the jaw, even when doing it right, but you maximizing the stress by bending and forcing the jaw to lift the fishes body weight.

must i draw you a diagram?

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
PeacockBass said:
Incorrect.

And the term is Ichthyologist.

By holding the fish horizontal you are basically making a"lever" out of parts of its jaw and that causes alot more stress on the jaw system then holding the fish strait up. There is still stress holding the jaw, even when doing it right, but you maximizing the stress by bending and forcing the jaw to lift the fishes body weight.

must i draw you a diagram?

I dont think u no how to draw :hitting:

fishinjeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Miami, FL
did i say anything about holding a fish by its jaw? nope, but there is something in there about supporting its belly. yes holding a fish by its jaw does put pressure on an little spot, when held horizontal withouth extra support, i never argued that, but holding a fish vertical is not any better for it. Here is a quote from Fl. Fish and Wildlife Research Instittute:

Refrain from holding fish in a vertical position when inspecting or photographing them. Internal organs are displaced and stress is increased in this unnatural position. Large fish should never be held by the bottom jaw only, with a boca grip or otherwise (any tool designed to grip the lower jaw of caught fish to facilitate handling). Hold the fish horizontally by the lower jaw with one hand, and support the belly with the other hand. If unsupported, many large fish, especially snook, will rupture the isthmus–a cartilaginous bundle of ligaments that connects the head and body--and the fish will die a slow death from starvation. This connection is necessary for the tremendous gulping action during feeding.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
all of u shut up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store