Toilet water changer

number17Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Rhode Island
Good point, forgot about temp changes, that might be a problem. I have africans who are said to spawn when they feel rushes of cold water, but this may be over board. That cold water from the tap is ice cold.

I plan on tapping off the filter becuase I don't have an overflow.

Back flow preventers would be a must all around.

Thanks for all the comments, its off to the get permission from the review board (aka my wife).

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Looks like a good idea, Are you actually going to do this?

hayden;984990; said:
one time when the power was out i used a 5 gallon bucket of dirty fish watter to fill up my toilet to flush it it was left over water i never dumped after doing water changes.
:confused:Is your toilet on an electric pump of some sort? Not an expert on flushing mechanics, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a toilet that wouldn't flush if the power was out

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
But what if you're going to the toilet too often for the day and you keep flushing?:ROFL:

OscartheGrouch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Boston
Those worried about the temp can put a heater in the toilet tank. :)

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
OscartheGrouch;987389; said:
Those worried about the temp can put a heater in the toilet tank. :)
Most toilets are made of porcelain, which is a VERY poor insulator. The cost to run that heater would outweigh the part about saving water.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Put a seat and lid on your tank and I'll come over and take a dump in your tank any day :grinno:

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
If you're using your filter because you don't have an overflow, then would the filter be non-functional 99% of the time?
Also, the toilet tank reservoir refill rate may be too quick for your filter media.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I think its an awsome idea! The temp swings couldn't be that bad depending on how big your tank is. I make water changes with cold water all the time and it is not that big of a deal if you have good cirrculation in your tank it mixes and disperses quickly. This is also a good idea for when you go on vacation...makes it easy and fool proof for someone to take care of your tank.

Chad

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
10 gallons/day = .4 gallons/hour
and that's assuming your bowels are ridiculously regular.
do it if it isn't your only source of filtration, but if you have to sacrifice your only filter to run it that way, then bad idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store