Toilet water changer

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
Lil Stinker is correct on both points. It will take longer than normal for the toilet to fill and if the float valve in the fish tank malfunctions you will have serious issues (can't believe I missed that one!). I don't necessarily agree with the 3 gal. issue though as a 1.6 could be used.

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Lonewolfblue;988387; said:
Which brings another idea, why have the toilet remove water from the tank? If you had an overflow, couldn't there be a way to just add water to the tank when the toilet is filling, and then the water that goes over the overflow will just be routed to a drain rather than a sump? Just another thought.
A simple "tee" in the toilet supply (after the float valve, so it will shut off) would do just this.
Water in = water out.
Never tried it, but from this guy's descripton, this is the way his was setup, and he said it did not do very well.

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
Lonewolfblue;988387; said:
Which brings another idea, why have the toilet remove water from the tank? If you had an overflow, couldn't there be a way to just add water to the tank when the toilet is filling, and then the water that goes over the overflow will just be routed to a drain rather than a sump? Just another thought.
Yes, that would be a piece of cake, but it defeats the whole idea of using the the tank water to flush the toilet. It would work but be a waste of time IMO.

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
Bderick67;986377; said:
:confused:Is your toilet on an electric pump of some sort? Not an expert on flushing mechanics, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a toilet that wouldn't flush if the power was out
Same here Ive never seen a toilette that needed electricity to flush.without electricity no water is pumped into the reservoir on the back of the toilette so when you flush nothing happens,but if you fill the reservoir up with water from somewhere else you can flush your toilette no electricity:headbang2

This holds true for every toilette Ive ever owned.....proud owner of many toilettes that I am.....;)

as for the idea I think its great.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
it can work and really think you should do it. some people have brought up good points others just taking the piss. ( pun inteneded) might need some tweaking but i think it is a great example of 21st century fishkeeping and eco friendliness.

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
What i still want to know if the water that goes from tank to toilet is filtered. He said it is used in place of an overflow, where the water would not be filtered.
That does raise concerns of regularly releasing a steady supply of microorganisms and plant life into drainage systems. For a place that doesn't have pressurized water, it might be safe to assume the worst.

danny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
uk
its a great idea and it will work,i have a 7*2*3 tank that i do a 50% warter change on every week i always feel so guilty wasting all that warter

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
i dont care what the rest of em' say, try it. just watch it closely for a week (dont let anyone use the toilet while your not home) incase something goes wrong. May i say your are a genius sir.

if your wondering, make them use a bucket out side when your gone!

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
CHOMPERS;989734; said:
Here it is with upgrades
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Guess since I watch my fish poop sometimes, I'll return the favor. :naughty: :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store