Took action for Blackbeard Algae

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tried to kill the Blackbeard Algae while on my Sword Plants and Anubius in my 29 gallon. This was the only aquarium with the issue. I've read that it can be introduced by a new plant. So anyway pulled all the plants out and dipped the leaves only in part Peroxide and water for 5 minutes. Kept the Sword Plant roots out of the solution. Hopefully the Blackbeard Algae dies because it's apita to remove.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Good luck! That stuff is a pain.
If that doesn’t work, I had luck using scuds to eat it, but it may not be as simple with live plants.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This morning took out Anubius and let them sit for 5 minutes then wiped Seachem Flourish Excel on the entire plants. I will update with the results.

Reactions: dr exum and Deadeye

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Good luck fighting it. It is hard to get rid of.
I still have a little of it, but I am at a much better place now, with relatively little of it left, and declining. Yeah!
I found the approach that worked best for me is a combination of sustained (read, weeks to months) mechanical and chemical attack on the BBA:
- Mechanical - physical (hand removal) of as much as possible, particularly new tufts on surfaces), then further vacuuming. Chemical by itself does not seem to do it. From driftwood, fingernail removal is best. From plants (depending on species), cutting off affected leaves/stems.
- Chemical - sprayed peroxide (full strength) onto surfaces. At every weekly water change, I begin with physical removal, then drain the tank as far as planned (usually 70% or more, while vacuuming loosened BBA), then spray surfaces (plumbing, heaters, driftwood, rocks, plants), followed by a few minutes wait time for the peroxide to act upon colonies, then refill tank. Over time, following the spraying (couple of days) existing colonies become reddish, then grayish, then die and fall off. Very important - when colonies are chemically affected (reddish, grayish), mechanical removal is easier and most effective. Thus, the chemical attack of one week is the edge one should bank on for next week's mechanical attack.

One more thing, if individual gravel pieces or sand are colonized, best is to replace substratum. For large (and desirable) rocks, take out, dip in peroxide (or clorox), then scrub with Scotch Bright pads, rinse, and reintroduce into tank. Do not spray Clorox onto aquarium.
Again, I still have some BBA and continue to fight it, but I have been able to save my planted tanks (for the most part).
Good luck!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After 5 minutes of putting plants back in aquarium noticed algae on the plants turning red. I agree a very difficult battle.
Next I buy plants I will treat them first prior to placing them in the aquarium.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I use 3% hydrogen peroxide with a fine syringe (like insulin syringes) for BBA. I switch the filter off for 5-10 mins then spray a little (I did max 2ml in 15 gallons) and let it cook. I am unsure of the maximum dosage but have not had issues yet. The BBA goes pink and the shrimp nibble it off :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If its Cyanobacteria, I assume you've already tried this, but just in case.
Here's how I combated it.
A shot below taken in June of 2013, it was isolated in only 2 of my 20 tanks (both on the same sump), it was especially thick, on the log below
The day of the pic, in early June I started using Rid-X as a probiotic source of competitive bacteria to compete
By late July, the shot below of the same log
I added the Rid-X to a filter sock in the sump, one spoonful per month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store