Training Snakehead to Eat Pellets

silverarow180

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
And no there really are not other compatable species , pleuro's beeing a Pack hubter is the most likley species to tolerate large tankmates but even then its risky.
I'm thinking about getting an ocelated snakehead, channa pleaurophthalma. I've seen many videos with them in tanks with similar sized fish. Im planning to get a few other predatory fish like gars, cichlids, clown knife, and some large bottom feeders. The tank is 4 foot long and 100 gallons.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
100g is not big enough for most of the fish your listing. Pleuros also need to be kept in groups of its own kind, not one alone.

Unless this is a growout for a bigger 3-500g tank then your already over stocked with fish that will outgrow that tank in no time. 2 oscars and an aro will make that tank cramped within the year also Asian Aro's get quite agressive wheb older. My RTG at ~14" killed started fighting back and killed my big old 16" oscar (in a 240g), asian aros are ok in mixes young but wheb they mature most of them turn into killers.

Also while im at it i should warn you plecos and bichirs is also a bad mix. one day the pleco will land on the bichir and suck his slime coat clean which kills the bichir.

I recommend against using youtube as a form of research you'll see people mix all sorts of things then video it to show off a new tank, they dont advertise that the fish died shortly after!

Best bet is to really read up on the fish you have now, figure out what you want to keep/can keep before you consider adding something new.

silverarow180

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Yeah I understand that the fish will outgrow my tank fast. I am ready to replace or get rid of fish completely if they outgrow the tank or there is a compatibility problem. The oscars are already growing fast.

silverarow180

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Also, my tank is approx 20 inches wide 26 inches deep, and 48 inches across (4 feet) and 100 gallons. I've thought about what you've said, heres what I'm thinking for my tank in order of priority.
1. Arowana
2. Oscars
3. Bichir
4. Peokock Bass/Clown Knife
5. Gar
6. Fire Eel
7. Catfish, red tailed or other predatory cat
8. Pleco

Which of these do you think I could have in my 100 gallon? Is it too much of a problem if I switch out the fish that have gotten to big? Asian Arowanas grow pretty slow, like 2 inches a year, so it shouldn't outgrow the tank anytime soon, right? I've decided snakeheads will be too much trouble.

Thanks for helping me out

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Not sure who told you that but Asian arowana grow much faster then 2" a year, it'll Start to look cramped in that 100g in a year. Actually other then bichirs every fish you've listed is much to large for a 100g tank and will outgrow it in year or so , some even faster!

Bichirs would be fine, even larger bichir species are fairly inactive and grow slow enough that thry will last a few years in that tank.

IF keeping the arowana id ditch everything except the bichirs, you just dont have space for more fish swimming around , it'll tolerate the other fish for a while but as things fet cramped itll start fighting. Bottom dwellers will get ignored for the most part even then my aro nails the odd bichir wheb they go up for air too close to him.

Honestly, a 100g just isnt thst big of a tank. It seems big but for the fish your talking about 250g+ and eventually an indoor pond is needed.

I discourge keeping fish and untill they outgrow you, in my opinion it is an irresponsible approach to keeping any animal. Aro/bichir mix will give you the longest amount of time before needing an upgrade. The rest of the fish you mentioned i would not even bother with until you have a bigger tank.

If you want a nice community in a 100g id go with fish that have an 8-10" max size.

Hope that helps!

Acidbyt

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
U could buy a few channa gachua
Or asian stinging catfish
These are highly predatory fish but will get bullied by larger cichlids
They both will do fine together but if its only a few of them

Manning99

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2020
Ctenopma= mini datnoid
African butterfly fish = mini arrowana
African brown knife = mini clown knife
Hujeta = mini gar

Smaller spineys, upper jaw bichir (Senegal,delhezi etc)pink tail chaleus, clouded archerfish,belly crawler pikes.

Acidbyt

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
My snakeheads are aggressive to each other but not the tankmates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store