Trash Can Filter

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
It does work well. One thing though, If you build it like mine, you should drill holes towards the top of the container that has the filter socks. That way if the filter socks get too dirty the water has somewhere to go. I found this out when there was water all over the floor. lol I also put several of those filter pads that are blue on one side and white on the other above the filter socks. I have a lfs near me that sells rolls of it so I can cut to fit. I put a piece of metal grating that I cut to fit and placed those filter pads on top of it. That way they would catch all the the heavy stuff and the filter socks wouldn't get so dirty so fast.

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
hey man, these are the most underrated filters for ponds IMO. I made one and it kicks ass on our big pond. just need a real good workhorse pump to get the best outta them. sorry I didn't document the build, but if you need more details, pm me. definitely a huge bang for your buck building these filters. we use a third filter floss and the rest small lava rock. pond was crystal clear and did't even get hit by algae. I love these filters. :)

[YT]NGuw4mbDmhc[/YT]

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Something like this, just on a larger scale right?

DSC_0552.JPG

DSC_0554.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0563.JPG

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
derekp;4925180; said:
It does work well. One thing though, If you build it like mine, you should drill holes towards the top of the container that has the filter socks. That way if the filter socks get too dirty the water has somewhere to go. I found this out when there was water all over the floor. lol I also put several of those filter pads that are blue on one side and white on the other above the filter socks. I have a lfs near me that sells rolls of it so I can cut to fit. I put a piece of metal grating that I cut to fit and placed those filter pads on top of it. That way they would catch all the the heavy stuff and the filter socks wouldn't get so dirty so fast.
I'll be sure to drill those holes in there.

Crispy;4925531; said:
hey man, these are the most underrated filters for ponds IMO. I made one and it kicks ass on our big pond. just need a real good workhorse pump to get the best outta them. sorry I didn't document the build, but if you need more details, pm me. definitely a huge bang for your buck building these filters. we use a third filter floss and the rest small lava rock. pond was crystal clear and did't even get hit by algae. I love these filters. :)
Nice. Since they work that well, I might have to make a few of these so that I can add one or two of them onto my goldfish pond system.

Pharaoh;4926506; said:
Something like this, just on a larger scale right?
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do on a larger scale.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
One thing I forgot to mention.... Plumbing through the side can be a bear sometimes. It's hard to get a good seal. But it may depend on the type of container as well.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Pharaoh;4926763; said:
One thing I forgot to mention.... Plumbing through the side can be a bear sometimes. It's hard to get a good seal. But it may depend on the type of container as well.
Uni-seals!
I've used them on all kinds of things. The greatest plumbing invention since they invented plumbing.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/829/Uniseals

Wiggles92;4926811; said:
Okay, I'll be sure to use plenty of sealant (probably an epoxy of some kind).
most adhesives/sealants wont hold on to HDPE which is the type of plastic most buckets, pail, cans are made from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store