Treating "Bloat" aka Spironucleus

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I believe he is a male but I'm not sure, don't have much experience with fronts he is the only one I've really had for longer than 12 months (He's 4 years old purchased at pet co. due to pitty for a couple bucks)

Tonight I'll do as you say and Water change out the Metro tonight. He's in a 10 gallon hospital tank how much epsom salt do I add?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I asked because sometimes females can become egg bound, which can initially appear to be constipation.
If you have no other fronts in the tank then I doubt it's that.

2 tablespoons of epsom salt per 10 gallons should help purge the blockage, if in fact it's simply a case of constipation.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
He's had 2 days of metro treatment with no apparent improvement first a bath then two days in the standard tank treatment. When I've used metro in the past(not for this fish) and it typically kicks in 12 hrs into the medicating process. I'm quite excited to have found this and your original thread. LIFE SAVORS!

IRONWOOD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2010
usa
A few years ago i had a green terror that was getting his ass beat. He developed the bloat and was up-side down for weeks. I placed in hospital tank and dosed with metro & epson salt to NO avail. I finally took a shot and stuck him with a syringe and sucked the air out. He was 100% with in 3 days after.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A few years ago i had a green terror that was getting his ass beat. He developed the bloat and was up-side down for weeks. I placed in hospital tank and dosed with metro & epson salt to NO avail. I finally took a shot and stuck him with a syringe and sucked the air out. He was 100% with in 3 days after.
What you just described was float. Fish with bloat as in hex/spiro don't float upside down for weeks, they float upside down & then they die.

kamikaziechameleon He's still swolen like a ballon. I doubled the treatement. Any other ideas?

What do you mean by doubled the treatment? What & how exactly have you been treating this fish?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
you said to put two spoons of epsom salt per 10 gallons I am at 4 table spoons.

And he swims fine but looks like a fancy gold fish now. he behaves fine other than looking like john candy. No heavy breathing or anything.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
....... for a simple case of constipation, yes, that should work. But I don't have a crystal ball and can't say with any real certainty what's going on with your fish.

Please keep in mind that this topic was specifically in regards to the treatment of hexamita/spironucleus.
Bloat is not a disease, it is a symptom that can manifest due to various different factors.

predatorjoe

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2012
North west Indiana
Garlic! It has done wonders for me. I had several problems with my cichlids in the beginning. I have 40+ different types in a 125 gallon tank. Im running 1750(BlueLine70HD) gallons per hour through her with a 36 watt uv sterilizer and a phosban 150. Along with my aqueon proflex model 4 sump. I feed them twice a day once in the morning NLS then 5hrs later some Spirilina flakes. With each feeding i give them 16 drops(ten per gallon of system) of kent garlic extreme. Now ive had no pink sock, bloat, or anything else. I swear by garlic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store