Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Tripplebeards

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2015
Wisconsin
All my other fish seem alive and healthy after less than 48 hrs after. Giving them epsome salt soaked food accept for the flowerhorn. He finally pecked at a piece or two of pellet this morning. I found some metro and plan on soaking in the pellets that I'll use for the next feeding

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've even had this cure badly prolapsed anus. Epsom is amazing, and safe.

Reactions: RD.

Tripplebeards

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Thanks for this helpful thread. I started soaking pellets in Epsom salts last Sunday and found metro last weds and added it to the mix. I also grabbed a 1/2 gal container and put about a teaspoon of metro in it and floated my flowerhorn in it for a couple hours two nights in a row. He started pecking microscopic whatever's at the bottom of the tank Thursday and started to try to eat small food particles yesterday and today. I haven't seen his poop yet to see what it looks like but he is at least socializing again instead od sitting in the corner by itself. I also bumped the heat to 83 degrees,added aquarium salt, and rid ich since I added to the problem lat weds when getting the metro...I picked up another green terror that I couldn't see the ich on it till I put him in the tank. I've been doing daily water changes and adding rid ich every day and am happy to say visibly the ich has already disappeared off the fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, the parasites can be spread via fecal matter etc.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No need really, unless you suspect reinfection at some point.

Fr21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2016
Hi RD, I just tried the Epsom salt solution 3% mixed with 2 pellets in a syringe and gave it to my FLowerhorn orally. I have 1ml orally and I put him back into the tank.

Now he's having trouble with bouyancy problem and can't swim right. His tail is pointed up and head down in like a 45 degree angle. He was normal before I did this procedure

Was it bubble that causes this problem or did I puncture his swim bladder? I'm so worried

I also didn't know there was a bubble in there until I gave the dose and my sister said "I saw a bubble in it.

He showed sign of hex 2 weeks ago but it went away in 3 days. He acts normally like nothing happen, just stops eating for 3 days.

I didn't know what it was hex until I saw white stringly poop. Bought Epsom salt but not the metro because I need a prescription for that. I went home after school and he was fine and started to deficating brown poop. So I didn't treat him for a week since he ate normally and poop normally

Yesterday he started to become lethargic and didn't eat. Then I moved him to a smaller tank to treat him. Put temp up to 86 and add in like 30ml of Epsom salt in 20 gallon tank. Today I gave him the oral 3% Epsom salt 1mL and he can't swim right.

I'm so worried, it is because of the bubble causing this problem in his stomach? Or did I just puncture his swim bladder

Anything helps. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store