Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Jakec96

Exodon
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
New Jersey
Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus with Epsom Salt Solution

This is a rather safe way to treat any newly imported fish, as a prophylactic, just as one would use a de-wormer. It's not only an extremely cheap way to treat fish, the active ingredients are readily available world-wide, and it's also much safer than using most forms of medication. Unlike most medications, there should be no worries about flagellates/pathogens building up a resistance to it, and excess magnesium is easily flushed from a fishes system. In my experience, it's very easy on fish, even very young juvenile fish. The best part - it works! (If the fish has worms when arriving, the epsom salt solution in the feed will also help with purging any worms)

While Metronidazole has always been the drug of choice when combating internal parasites such as hexamita and/or spironucleus, metro (or any other type of medication) should never be used on a regular basis as a prophylactic, and doing so may cause flagellates/parasites to develop a resistance to the medication, and possibly even mutate and become super bugs. It's also been stated by at least one researcher that excessive use of metronidazole can cause organ damage in fish.

Other cons with metronidazole is its solubility in water is very poor, in aquarium settings it has been suggested that it can precipitate out of solution within 6-8 hours, and it can become rather expensive when treating large systems.

While doing some online research on spironucleus I came across an interesting study that mentioned the use of Magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt) in treating internal parasites in angel fish.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-120399-140825/unrestricted/ANGEL.PDF

A long read (200+ pages) but the idea of using something as basic as epsom salt to treat internal parasites in fish intrigued me, which in turn lead me to dig deeper.

This is where it got interesting ........

The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh 57(2), 2005, 97-104.

http://siamb.org.il/uploads/57_2_Ogut.pdf

In his book; Fish Disease: diagnosis and treatment, Edward J. Noga mentions treating hexamita (spironucleus) orally with Magnesium sulphate.

This is certainly encouraging news for anyone who's fish is still eating, or begins eating after treatment with Metro. Not only does Epsom salt assist in recovery when added directly to the aquarium (as per the links above), but according to the research posted above it has a deadly effect on hexamita when ingested.

Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, is a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology, and he has been published approx. 150 times in related papers/journals. His lab at NC State University specializes in the study of infectious diseases of finfish and shellfish. As a side note for Discus keepers, Dr. Noga's book on fish disease is the book that Andrew Soh often refers to for disease/treatment information.

Now for the treatment ......

For a 3% solution of Magnesium sulphate, add 1 level tablespoon (15 grams) magnesium sulphate to 500 milliliters of distilled water. Stir, and it's good to go.

Use an eye dropper or pipette to add to pellet food (or any other food that will readily absorb it), and stop dripping water once the pellets become saturated. Use only enough water to saturate the food, with no excess water, so that the water soluble vitamins in the food remain intact. Feed twice a day, for 3-5 days. (I went with 5 days)

In extreme cases, the oral solution could be administered to a fish via a pipette.Just make sure to use a flexible tip so as not to damage the fishes esophagus when squirting the solution down the fishes throat. Only a small amount is required, but repeat daily until the fish is accepting pre-soaked pellets, and continue treatment for 5 days.

My own experience with this treatment ........ so far it's proven to be a life saver, where all other previous 'textbook' methods of treatment for internal parasites have failed, including several days of treating with 500mg Metro per 10 gallons, while feeding Metro soaked food at the same time. (fish was chewing & spitting, but was eating some food twice a day)

In less than 48 hrs of the 3% Magnesium sulphate treatment, for the first time in 30 days the fish was no longer shedding the mucous lining of his intestine. (white/clear feces) After 5 days of feeding the 3% solution via pellets, the fish had made a complete recovery & was back eating like gang busters.

Hopefully some members here will find this information useful.

Neil

Can I get the same results from using dechlorinated water or tank water rather then using distilled water?

Camellia

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2017
Hey, was hoping you could give some perspective on my dilemma...

I have an ongoing problem in my tank with what I believe to be "hexamita" or "spironucleus" (whichever it is). I've recently lost two juvenile 2.5" discus to this illness; they turned dark, stopped eating, and hid in the corner of the tank and eventually died, despite my attempts to treat them with Metronidazole at 500mg per 10g for two weeks.

I discovered *after* the deaths of the two juvies that I had failed to turn off the UV sterilizer on my canister filter (I thought I had; evidently not). Could this mistake have resulted in the Metronidazole being rendered ineffective?

Now one of my larger 4" discus is showing symptoms--disinterest in food, staying separate from the rest of the school facing the back of the tank, and "pacing" the tank swimming in a stressed manner with its dorsal fin clamped.

I've since tried to treat with the 3% epsom salt solution recommended in this thread, but since the discus no longer eats with the enthusiasm it once did (although it did eat some of the epsom-salted food at first; it's since lost interest) likely not enough was consumed to treat it. I've also attempted to administer epsom salt solution via a syringe, but no improvement so far (a great amount of the solution seems to run out of the fish's gills, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly). About how long should I continue to attempt feeding the epsom salt solution before I try a different treatment?

I'd just like to first confirm that it IS hex/spiro and not some other illness? And if so, how would you suggest I proceed?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Wow, that's weird. I had no idea that it would be difficult to source in Thailand.
I would only use food grade, some of the other mixes contain scents or fragrant additives for people who use it in baths. Sorry!

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Camellia, sorry for missing your previous comment. I hate playing fish doctor via a computer screen. I wish I could help you, but it's impossible for me to say with any certainty what you are dealing with.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wow, that's weird. I had no idea that it would be difficult to source in Thailand.
I would only use food grade, some of the other mixes contain scents or fragrant additives for people who use it in baths. Sorry!
Thanks for quick reply, you saved me, was just about to order that but thought I'd better get an informed opinion first; will keep looking. But yeah I was surprised too that it's so difficult to find here -- maybe it's because most Thais don't really have/take baths, mostly only showers...None of the super markets or pharmacies have it, though I've heard the traditional Chinese medicine shops might have it; they were closed today will check tomorrow. I've just noticed my Kamfa has a small lesion on his head; not sure it's HITH, am keeping watch, but would like to try this asap as a treatment or preventive measure.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
islandguy11 islandguy11 You might have some luck looking for the chemical name for epsom salt, magnesium sulfate. I'm sure magnesium sulfate has been mentioned in this thread already but I didn't see it on this page so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

I've ordered magnesium sulfate online from a place that also sells dry fertilizers for planted aquariums but chemical supply stores would be the first place to look for MgSO4 if you can't find epsom salt.

Also, some aquarium stores sell magnesium sulfate which can be used to harden the water (increase GH).

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store