Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Blaz1n1t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2011
FL
RD, maybe this question is stupid but the treatment states that the magnesium sulphate should be added to distilled water, does it matter if i just use water coming from my sink, with prime?, or should be using distilled water. Just want to make sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No, not a stupid question at all. I used distilled water as my tap water contains chloramine, and I didn't want to add anything to the fishes gut that I didn't have to. I would feel the same way about chlorine and/or Prime. Distilled water is very cheap, and it removes the potential of adding anything to the gastrointestinal system of a fish that is already not doing well.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Blaz1n1t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2011
FL
Thanks, good point to. Also after i make the mixture, would it be a bad idea to feed this food to the majority of my fish. I believe at 1 time or another ive seen what appeared to be long white worms coming out of the anus of my fish, but they all look healthy.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
You can feed this to all your fish as a preventative measure, but it will not kill worms.

Please see post #12 in this discussion for the treatment of worms.

Ravemaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
Irvine, CA
Excellent solution. Worked perfectly for both my flowerhorns but the epsom soaked pellets didnt work for my other FH recently and i'm having to use the pipette. Hopefully he pulls through :(

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
my flowerhorn is on its third day and all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat the Epsom salt dipped pellets.

Should I stop trying and go back to his regular food and routine?

I am seeing good results so far.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What was his regular food & routine before he got sick?

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Same pellets minus the solution, 2/3 times a day.

Seems like he's getting tired of the Epsom dipped pellets.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Give his gut a day of rest, then go back to your old routine - although I would only feed twice a day, once in the AM, and once in the PM. Just feed sparingly for the next several days & allow his system to recuperate. Good luck.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
I'll be trying this out with a gold severum with SERIOUS HIH that I've been given to 'fix'. I've been told that he hasn't been eating the past few days. I'm going to attempt to give the epsom salt soaked food to him tonight. If he doesn't go for it, though, can you give a few more pointers or details about force feeding? I have access to soft pipettes and solution, but I really don't know how much would be considered 'enough' or hwo to ensure that the fish is actually swallowing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store