Treating Hexamita aka Spironucleus

Vilardz3190

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2011
Rockville Centre, NY
I would just like to add to RD that soaking pellets in epsom salt does help in passing the white feces from the fish. Unlike just having hex my tank went into turmoil with a slew of infestations. Including Ich, external worms, hex and HITH. I was putting epsom salt in the tank so that they can pass there feces as well as soaking pellets for digestion. I was also mixing the pellets with a little metro as well. Ich, external worms and hex have all ceased in my tank using only these 2 products. I am still fighting some HITH with my red sevrum but continuing epsom soaked pellets. Luckily she is still in high spirits by jumping out of the water to grab some krill I dangle from the surface of the water. The only downside of epsom salt and metro is that they wrecked my plant life, but you know what who cares lol. Thanks for all the advice and various methods from everyone.

valwow187

Feeder Fish
Jun 1, 2013
georgia
Thank you so much for sharing this... ive been having difficulty with metrodizonel and im going to try epsom salt and see if it is better. from the stories i just read it should work... i sure hope so, i dont wanna lose my severum

James Gil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2009
merseyside, england.
i recently aquired x2 flowerhorns from my local LFS. one for me and one for a neighbour. 5 days later mine is showing bad signs of hex. he's hiding, very shy and has long stringy ttranslucent/white poo. i have made up a solution of epsom salts and have already soaked some food,and have this drying in the sun outside. with any luck this treatment will work:D ishall keep you all informed of the fishes progresss.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Presoak the pellets in the solution then feed them directly to the fish, and skip the "sun drying" part.

James Gil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2009
merseyside, england.
Thanks for your reply RD and sorry for my late one. Have been feeding my fish the treated food for 3 days now all are eating well but i think i might have been too late with my flowerhorn. He hasnt eaten for atleast 4 days now and he still has the white stringy poo so i might try to forcefeed him a small amount of the solution and see how that works, he is only about 4inches long so its gonna be tricky but i dont wanna see him die. was gonna try metro in the water in a hospital tank but im not gonna bother for a 12 quid fish its simply not worth the expense of the vet prices for metro, its gonna work out at 80 quid in the vets for the metro hopefull the forcefeeding will work otherwise im gonna have to put the fella to sleep

Fishminded

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
Seattle, WA.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. I have a green terror that I bought a while ago that was growing like crazy then all of a sudden stopped growing and started getting stringy poop. I'm noticing other fish in the tank getting the stringy poop also. I've also ordered Prazipro that will arrive tomorrow, as I've read it is effective and gentle enough to use on clown loaches. Would it be a good idea to do this epsom salt remedy as well as treating with the prazipro at the same time? I've been salting (regular salt)the tank 1tbsp per 5 gallons of water to help a Jurrapari heal, any problem with salting the tank? I'd appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks in advance.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Prazipro is best for treating worms, you can feed the presoaked epsom pellets at the same time with no issue. Adding some salt to the tank water won't hurt either. Good luck with turning things around.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What does the diet of the GT consist of? Is it still eating? With other fish in the tank showing the same symptoms It would lead me to think it is some IP infestation. Was anything new added to the tank recently? One thing to menetion here is a GTs digestive system is more akid to that of mbuna where as it has a longer digestive tract better suited for digesting plant matter and when fed a diet too high in meat protein they can devlope a bacterial infection of the digestive system that presents itself with the same symptoms ie white stringy feces. This is not an IP but the sheding and passing of the mucus layer of the digestive system. I mention this as an FYI because most people see this and automaticly assume IPs. In this case it most likly is an IP issue since other fish are also showing the same symptom. However if not already doing so try feed the GT more of a plant based diet consting of higher levels of Kelp, Sprulina etc.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While I agree in principle with your comment, Tom - I have raised a countless number of mbuna over the years, along with a few GT, and never fed a diet high in plant matter, and never had any issues such as stringy poop. Most pellet/flake foods will work just fine, if not overfed to the fish. Mine were all raised on NLS. IMO one just needs to control the amount being fed, and avoid large amounts of animal protein such as frozen krill, bloodworms, etc.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
avoid large amounts of animal protein such as frozen krill, bloodworms, etc.
B I N G O! Most "high quality pellets and flakes" are fine. I found NLS Thera +A is excelent for GTs as is Omega One Super Veggie pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store