treating mouthrot/mouth fungus

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Mouth rot or mouth fungus is not a true fungus but rather a bacterial disease that can quickly kill fish. It is most often found in tanks that have a high bacterial load and need more frrequent water changes and gravel vacs, overfeeding is often one of the culprits.
The disease is Flexibacter columnaris and in the more virulent cases usually accompanied by a second infection of the Aeromonas bacteria. The disease can also manifest as tail-rot and cotton wool disease. It can also (less commonly) cause swollen, smelly bodies by expressing as systemic septicemia. Listless behavior and lack of appetite are also early symptoms.
It occurs most commonly in the spring.
The bacteria grows poorly at temps. below 76 degrees F. but very quickly above 77degrees F. so it is one of the diseases that you actually want to lower the temp. for, 74-75 F. is ideal during treatment. Aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons will prevent most outbreaks but not all.
Once an outbreak does occur it is important to move quickly as small fish can succomb within 24 hrs and large ones within days.
The bacteria responds well to any antibiotics but the Aeromonas also often present responds best to minocycline while the Flexibacter is less responsive to that than to other drugs.
Kanacyn (kanamycin) will treat both. A simultanious use of both Maracyn (erythromycin) and Maracyn 2 (minocycline) is reported as treatment of choice but several other meds such as Tri-Sulfa, and Myxazin or interpet's Anti-fungus and Finrot are also reported as reliable treatments.
Anti-biotics usually impact on your biofilters bacterial colony so if possible bypass that and rely on mechanical filtration and water changes during treatment. Follow the dosage directions on any medication you choose to use.
Because it can also cause systemic internal infections feeding antibiotic medicated food during treatment is not a bad idea.
This information comes from both personal experience and a combination of several articles on the disease, the best of which is found at this website http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm#
Good luck,
Guppy

Prowler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2006
Woodbury, New York
My RT has mouthrot. :( I will be at Petco bright and early tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Prowler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2006
Woodbury, New York
Doesn't look like hes going to make it. :(

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
My condolences

Reactions: Liampikoulas

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Does boiling water kill the bacteria; just lost all the fish(5) in my quarrantine tank to this bacteria, started with ick then the fish got this as they went further downhill. Now I want to sterilize my qurrantine tank, its decor/substrate, wondered if washing wit boiling water would do the trick...?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Boiling water will do it or you can use Hydrogen peroxide

donbig808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Manila,Philipines
I just bought 50pcs. of feeders for my arowana,i placed them to a 10 gals. tank after a day all of the feeders are dead. What seems to be the problem?:(

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
I would guess ammonia poisoning, if those feeders were goldfish at about 2-3" long you would need 100% daily water changes or a cycled filter built for a 75g tank just to barely keep up

Juanch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Philippines
I would guess ammonia poisoning, if those feeders were goldfish at about 2-3" long you would need 100% daily water changes or a cycled filter built for a 75g tank just to barely keep up
Guppy, what are the symptoms of amonia poisoning? My feeders normally die w/ reddish or somewhat swollen gills

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
ammonia reading should be zero?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store