South Africa
Table salt should be non-iodised if they don't specify

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So after allowing for water displacement, that's approximately 200gallons.
So that means around 80 table spoons of salt?
Seems like a lot. I will add ten spoons at a time over a few hours until I reach the requiered amount.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Any idea what you introduced that had ich? Time to setup a quarantine tank for the future.
I think it was some Heros species I introduced.I always quarantine my new fish for two weeks so I don't really understand where it came from.
I haven't had an outbreak of ich for years.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I find my heros species get ich looking blisters, mostly limited to tail/fins. I gave up treating them since they went away on there own. My heros beat eachother up a lot though. Not to say you don't have ich, but an observation I've had with a few in the genus.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
I used normal non iodised table salt
I once used normal salt in an emergency and everyone was fine too
i have always been concerned about the anti caking agent in table salt ( a form of cyanide im told ) . im not sure ive seen non iodised salt in the supermarket although i have no idea if rays are effected by iodine in the salt either . that said i would be more worried about the anti caking agents than the iodine but still i havnt tried it. be interesting to know if anyone has info as using table salt would be much easier for treatments.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've bought non idodized salt from supermarkets here in Florida. Most salt available is iodized in the states. Pickling and kosher salt don't usually have anti-caking agents or iodine. Safe for aquarium use.

I have used their salt with iodine and caking agents in a situation with sensitive fish and came thru fine.

Don't think there's proof that anti-caking agents directly killed fish. I haven't checked in a while though.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
We do get non iodised table salt here.

I havent found any eveidence that the anti cacking agents are a problem..
I have used it a few times in emergencies as we are quite far from the nearest LFS and have never had a problem with the rays or my clown loaches which are the most sensitive fish i have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store